PDA

View Full Version : Turning Withdrawl

Scott Hackler
01-05-2011, 11:59 PM
I haven't gotten to turn too much in the last few weeks. With the holidays and the honey-do list, the only thing turned lately have been a hand full of ladies rings. (Mom asked on Christmas day if I could make her a blackwood ring, so 20 minutes later she had one) I have since spent a few hours making the rest as an experiment for speeding up that process. She claims to have showed the ring off to several ladies and meantioned $20 each for them. For that I guess I am in the ring making business! I even ordered and have received a set of ring sizers.

So on to the complaining..... I have been putting of a pretty extensive new build in the basement of our fairly new house (3-4 year delay from first starting) and guilt is forcing me to "get to work". So..... I guess that unless I dedicate Sunday afternoons as turning time, I don't see any time for turning like I have been used to. :(

Too little time.....

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Scott - you gotta have priorities! Besides - gives you time to think up new designs to try on the lathe! The build project won't last forever - so get it done! :D

Doug W Swanson
01-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Scott,
I definitely can relate! I turned a bunch of things for Christmas presents but lately my wife has been on my case to finish her home office. Lately I've been doing sheetrock, painting, ceilings, etc. I'm also helping my son build Pinewood Derby cars, starting fire fighter training. When does it end!

Maybe in a week or so I can get back to the lathe!

David Reed
01-06-2011, 1:45 AM
Yes, fiberglass, drywall and paint occupied a fair bit of time before Christmas plus made a few maple butcher block tables for gifts but could not justify turning round legs. Currently resurrecting the crib I built 35 years ago for the newest grandbaby just around the bend. Should get some pics when it's ready as it was my first turning project. So no time on the lathe for a bit now and little time even for the Creek.
Likely won't see anything of consequence spinning until March. Ohh, the pain whenever I think of it.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-06-2011, 9:39 AM
I've always kept 3 or 4 unfinished projects on the go. I'm not talking about rough turned bowls. My projects are usually large and their lack of completion quite noticeable. It is one of the things I would like to do differently in my next life. I want to have the focus to finish one project before going on to the next. You're doing the right thing. Finish the addition right down to the paint and electrical switch covers. The lathe will be waiting and the fans of your work will be anticipating your next artwork.
faust

Jim Burr
01-06-2011, 11:11 AM
I feel ya Scott! I was stuck in bed for 4 days with a hard core case of the flu...fever and the whole works. Hittin' the lathe this morning!!

Scott Hackler
01-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I hear you. I WILL have to make time for a little turning time, but I have to limit it in order to complete this massive construction project.

HISTORY: 5 years ago I started building a dedicated home theater in my new-ish basement. This is a very extensive and detailed build, including the fact that the room itself is entirely de-coupled from the rest of the house framing for soundproofing. I went like wildfire for a year and then some things happened to draw my work elsewhere. I just havent gotten the motivation to restart this gigantic build. Add to that, the room adjacent is the "game/billard/bar" area that needs finished and a bathroom that is at 80% complete. Whew I feel tired already.

Anyway, last night I was using the saw and framing gun to start studding up the outside walls (after the LOML told me the noise wouldnt bother her because she was going to bed early) and was informed that it WAS too noisey, "sorry.... you could go out to the shop and turn something". Hmmm well at that point I just gave up on woodworking for the night (it was 9:15pm).

:)