PDA

View Full Version : Lurking here ends up costing a lot of money!

Alan Heffernan
01-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I have been lurking here for a while soaking up the insights and know-how. Unfortunately it catalyzed me calling up today and ordering a "mustard monster" complete with bed extension, remote switch, and 6" tool rest. :D

Thanks to you all for a great forum and lots of great information and advice. Special thanks to Rick Markham for his insights and advice via PMs.

Roger Chandler
01-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the VORTEX..................he-he-he...........;):D

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Welcome to SMC and welcome to the endless black hole.:eek::D Have some fun.

Don Alexander
01-05-2011, 11:16 PM
money is that object which flips you the bird as it hastens to avoid parking in your wallet :D

Trevor Walsh
01-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Money doesn't buy happiness, a lathe however, spins a metric tonne of happiness.

Baxter Smith
01-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Congrats! Nice lathe package! Probably not the last expenditure though!:)

Alan Trout
01-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Welcome and have a bunch of fun.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Alan - Welcome to the Creek! You sure know how to jump right into the vortex! You'll love your new lathe!

What part of L.A. are you from?

John Keeton
01-06-2011, 6:15 AM
Alan, no doubt you have jumped in up to your neck!! Most of us put a toe in first, just to check the water!;)

Great to have you with us, and I look forward to seeing some of your work.

And, a special thanks to Rick for dragging you on in to the vortex!:D

Alan Zenreich
01-06-2011, 6:45 AM
...and just think.... the lathe is only a minor part of your expenses. So many toys, so little time...

The vortex is however, a fun ride and clearly worth the price.

Alan Heffernan
01-06-2011, 9:00 AM
Steve, I am from the Mobile area of South Alabama.

bob svoboda
01-06-2011, 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Mustard Club and the Creek. You're gonna love it.

Jim Burr
01-06-2011, 9:20 AM
First order of business Alan is to get real good at photography so you can post your work. Start by taking a picture of your wallet with $$ in it...cuz that's the last time you'll see any. Turning=vortex=black hole=vacuum="when's payday?"

Jack Mincey
01-06-2011, 9:43 AM
Welcome to the club. One word of advise, is if you are new to turning it might be a good idea to losen the belt a little on the PM for a while. I do this when my students are learning how to use their tools and it lets the belt slip WHEN they get a catch. The 2hp motor will rise you off your feet if the belt doesn't slip with a bad catch.
Happy Turning,
Jack

Greg Ketell
01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
ahh you only end up buying what you "need". Never stuff "just to have". Well, maybe, just maybe, you will buy wood "just because".

Congrats. You will love it!

Kyle Iwamoto
01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Wow, you just started and I already have lathe envy. Welcome and good choice on the lathe.

Rick Markham
01-06-2011, 4:52 PM
I'm a Bad Influence! Glad ya got everything all worked out Alan! I think everyone here can attest to the fact that it's money well spent! Just be prepared that your tablesaw will be holding bowls and not cutting much wood anymore :D

David E Keller
01-06-2011, 8:09 PM
Great choice for a first and/or final lathe. If you decide you hate woodturning(and you won't), it will likely be worth about as much as you paid for it. Welcome.

Bill Bolen
01-06-2011, 8:19 PM
Welcome and congrat's! Seems as if the others here have forgotten the motto "no pic's?, never happened":rolleyes:

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2011, 8:22 PM
Alan, Congrats on a great lathe! However...NOW YOU HAVE NO MORE EXCUSE FOR LURKING!!! Get in here and get active...He..he..he.. don't ya just love the dark side?:):cool:

Thomas Canfield
01-06-2011, 8:43 PM
Congratulations Alan. I went through several steps before the leap to the Mustard, but it really is a neat machine. Now for all the other little incidentals.

Steve Mawson
01-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Welcome for sure. This group has grown so much over the last year or so. The more the merrier for sure. Envy LA this time of year. When it comes we expect pictures.

Alan Heffernan
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the Welcomes, glad to join in. This is a great forum and I look forward to learning more by visiting here often. I have a lot to learn. I have been woodworking forever but have only turned a little. My Rockwell was too small for what I wanted to do. When the freight company shows up next week sometime, that issue will be solved.

I will post a photo or two when the time comes.

Thanks again the warm comments.

Roland Martin
01-07-2011, 8:20 AM
Congratulations, Alan, and welcome to the Creek. Wow!, when you decide to make a move, you don't fool around!!:eek::D Well, you got the single most expensive item out of the way, you shouldn't have to spend much more money from this point :D:D:D:D, he-he-he-he!!