PDA

View Full Version : Made myself a new Carbide turning tool....

Kevin W Johnson
01-05-2011, 8:21 PM
I finally finished my newest carbide turning tool. The cutter is a replacement cutter for Eazy Wood Tools. Its 4 layers of 1/2" Corian, with the 2 inner layers routed with a groove for the 3/8" bar stock. The 2 inner layers are also screwed together in addition to glued, for extra strength. The copper ring is a tight friction fit, allowing access to a screw beneath, to allow changing of different cutting bars. Its a bit heavier than its wood counterparts, but once one end is resting on the tool rest, i dont really notice it much.

Steve Vaughan
01-05-2011, 8:47 PM
Kevin, that's great looking. I've got some similar looking corona laying around, what do you glue that stuff together with? And, the weight you mention seems to me would be a good thing for stability. Nice looking tool there!

Kevin W Johnson
01-05-2011, 9:03 PM
Thanks, I just use thick CA. I glue and clamp the middle layers first, and allow them to set up. The i add the third and fourth layers one at a time. I also use as many clamps as i can to help eliminate visible seams.

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2011, 9:47 PM
Wow - I think this is the first 'designer' carbide tool I have ever seen! Very nice work! That extra weight you mentioned will work to your advantage once you start using it!

David E Keller
01-05-2011, 9:51 PM
That's about as nice a handle as I've seen... The weight of the corian will likely be a blessing. Good idea!

David DeCristoforo
01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
SWEET! Love it.

Mike Dillen
01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
That is realy nice, I like the specks in the corian.

Rob Cunningham
01-06-2011, 1:14 PM
Wow, that's really nice looking tool.

bob svoboda
01-06-2011, 1:33 PM
Very nice tool! Love the handle.

Ben Richardson
01-06-2011, 1:37 PM
I love the handle! Sweet. I made a similar tool using Capt. Eddie's Utube video. The one question I have is where did you get the steel bar? It looks clean and shinny. The only bar I could fine looks like an old fence post. Works like a champ but is ugly.

Kevin W Johnson
01-06-2011, 3:30 PM
The square bar came from HD, it took some sanding and polishing to make it look like it does....

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2011, 4:58 PM
That is one sweet looking tool. I like it.

Jeff Nicol
01-06-2011, 8:41 PM
I have some dark gray Corian and I think I will have to try that out for some of my miniature tools that need nicer handles on them. I have some dark burgandy and dark green too so maybe a 2 tone one also!

Great Idea and nice tool,

Jeff

Rich Aldrich
01-06-2011, 9:39 PM
That is a really nice tool. Thats one I am interested in trying to make.

Kevin W Johnson
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys for all the positive comments. My turning adventure just started with pens just this past November. I'm working my way thru some little projects, bottle stoppers, tool handles, etc. Maybe one day i'll get to the point to try a bowl or something of the sort. I still have to aquire a few things, other than the skill and know how to make that happen.