PDA

View Full Version : Robland X31 vs. Separate Machines

Steve H Graham
01-05-2011, 8:20 PM
Some dude is selling a circa 1996 Robland X31 combo woodworking machine on Craigslist for $1500.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/tls/2140217940.html

Is anyone here familiar with this thing?

I like the tools I have, but it's a little tempting to consolidate the jointer and table saw and save some room so I could buy more tools and increase my tool empire. And it has a riving knife and sliding table.

I would not want to give up my stand-alone planer, because the grief of converting a combo machine from jointing to planing would be more than my tender constitution could bear.

I know I won't buy it, but it's interesting.

Carl Knapp
01-05-2011, 9:21 PM
Steve,

There were some changes around those years. You want the one that:

1. Can take a dado
2. The cast iron saw table sits on adjusting bolts and is on the same plane as the jointer out feed.
3. The rip fence slides on a round bar mounted to the jointer out feed table, this fence is also your jointer fence.
4. The shaper fence plates mount on two double square steel blocks with grub screws so you can adjust the fences to the same plane.
5. has the newer style euro jointer bridge guard that has the steel arm and aluminum bridge.
6. 90 % sure they also went to CEG motors

You should try to find the X31 owners group,

As for a combo jointer & planer: The newer designed combo jointer planers where as the tables lift up away from you are a great way to go especially if you are trying to utilize all your shop space and get more bang for your buck. Change over takes no time at all.

Dave Sabo
01-05-2011, 9:34 PM
It's definitely worth 1500. It is not perfect and anyone considering one should check out the yahoo group and the numerous other reviews.

I disagree with Carl on a few points.

1. the round tube rip fence that double's for the jointer fence sucks in my opinion. It's only marginally better than the orig. design for wide rips and the jointer. The best design is the current one in which all fences are separate.
2. all can take a dado but, they are a pain in the A#* to mount because Europe doesn't allow them so it's not really designed to. You have to remove the riving knife get/make a new throat plate and have 3 hands to mount the blade. It is also going to be limited in width.
3. All tables are adjustable, should be in plane from the factory. Are a pain to setup if you get one out of wack , but it's a one time deal. There are some great guides from owner's floating about.

FWIW - I think the shaper spindle's location is such that it makes it un-usable for anything except medium sized raised panels.

Steve H Graham
01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm just window-shopping. The price seemed good, and it's a neat machine.

Carl Knapp
01-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Steve,
I agree with Dave the newest style fence is the best, however it wasn't used on the machine until around 2001 and you are looking at an older green machine. I also agree with Dave on the round bar fence, however it was an improvement over the original one and it can be modified to be more user friendly. If not, Laguna sells a fence upgrade kit to the newest version however the cost will start to add up.
Dado: As for Dado the earlier saw units could not dado. They started milling a big slot in the front so you could use a longer arbor bolt. I think these non dado units were older than 1996.
Table co planer: On the earlier machines all the tables were adjustable other than the saw table. It was higher than the jointer out feed table. This was common on all the earlier vintage euro combos. The cast iron saw table bolted directly on steel ledges. Laguna used to sell the hardware to alter the mounting however it takes some work.
In addition: the older saw units did not have an adjustable trunion, Laguna had a kit to replace the pillow blocks with slotted ones to align the saw blade with the miter slot.
In addition: the newer units have micro adjustment blocks to adjust the guide rail for the sliding table. this was a big improvement.
I strongly agree with Dave that you need to do some research to make sure the machine will fit you needs. You said you would keep your planer due to change over. The jointer /planer on the X is the easiest part of the machine. You should see if you can get one of the older X31 video.
Another big point is that in making the change over faster the saw blade has a lever and not a crank.