PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity Killed the Cat...

Christopher K. Hartley
01-05-2011, 8:16 PM
...Sat5isfaction Brought Him Back! Remember that wood everyone said was good for handles but not much else? You know, It was just bugging me like crazy so I succumb to the temptation to cut and turn a bowl just to see.:o Well judge for yourself. This is about 11" X 4" first turn (rough) before boiling of Eastern Hop Horn Beam. It was very pleasent to turn wet. I'm pleased with the color and grain of this wood. What say you?:)

David Warkentin
01-05-2011, 8:21 PM
Well I say that I like that grain! David

Steve Schlumpf
Looks good to me! Reminds me a little of white birch - with a touch of apple heartwood!

David E Keller
It looks good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

John Keeton
01-05-2011, 8:54 PM
I agree - worth the effort at this point - particularly with the heartwood. Were it just the heartwood, it looks like it would still have some decent color and grain.

Rick Markham
01-05-2011, 9:32 PM
Yes, sir! I like it! Looks like a worthy effort to me!

Don Alexander
01-05-2011, 9:42 PM
just goes to show you that just because some pieces of wood of a certain species may be rather plain / bland not necessarily all of them are

lots of different things affect coloration and grain patterns in wood and therefore generalisations about whether a piece of a certain species is worth turning or not are just that, generalisations
i may be in the minority,and thats never bothered me at all, but i think that there are no bad pieces of wood just some are "more better" than others :D

really nice bowl and pretty piece of wood

Baxter Smith
01-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Nice bowl out of some pretty wood.

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 11:22 PM
That is a nice bowl Chris. Really nice looking wood.

Harry Robinette
01-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Christopher
I may be wrong but I believe Clay Foster has done quite a few piece in Horn Beam over his career .
Harry

bob svoboda
01-06-2011, 9:14 AM
Like it a lot. You just never know until you cut it open!

Jim Burr
01-06-2011, 9:16 AM
Me say ya done good! That'll hold some salad!

Doug W Swanson
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Looks nice to me. Very interesting grain on the bottom, too....

charlie knighton
01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
i like your start, please show the end result, should be very nice

Greg Ketell
01-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm really glad you didn't listen to everyone. That is going to be a very pretty finished bowl!!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2011, 6:53 PM
Thanks all, I will keep you informed on this one as well.:)

Jeff Nicol
01-06-2011, 8:01 PM
Christopher, What did the bark look like on the piece? I have cut down hundreds of Hop Hornbeam here in WI and not a one has a dark heartwood in it, but the largest I have ever seen around here is maybe 11" dia. The other thing that is completley different than what I get is that the growth rings are much wider and yours looks like the American Elm that I get around here, which has the light sapwood and the darker heartwood. I believe the trees are related and some of the smaller Elms can have bark closely resembling Hop Hornbeam. One last thing I notice about the Hop Hornbeam I turn green or dry it is hard as a rock and needs a good sharp tool to keep up with it.

Just an observation and inquiring minds want to know! No matter what wood it is the bowl looks very nice so far and should finish up nicely.

Jeff

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2011, 8:14 PM
Christopher, What did the bark look like on the piece? I have cut down hundreds of Hop Hornbeam here in WI and not a one has a dark heartwood in it, but the largest I have ever seen around here is maybe 11" dia. The other thing that is completley different than what I get is that the growth rings are much wider and yours looks like the American Elm that I get around here, which has the light sapwood and the darker heartwood. I believe the trees are related and some of the smaller Elms can have bark closely resembling Hop Hornbeam. One last thing I notice about the Hop Hornbeam I turn green or dry it is hard as a rock and needs a good sharp tool to keep up with it.

Just an observation and inquiring minds want to know! No matter what wood it is the bowl looks very nice so far and should finish up nicely.

Jeff Jeff read this thread as it is the basis for this wood ID. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153379-Pics-for-(Good-Wood-Opportunity-Or-Not-) :)

Rich Aldrich
01-06-2011, 9:20 PM
Really nice wood. Sometimes you have to go against the grain..... pun intended.