PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions / Comments

Lee Koepke
01-05-2011, 8:11 PM
This is a slab of sycamore I used for trying different shapes. Its about 7" in diam and 1.5" deep. It started out with a walnut accent ring at top, but trying to get an ogee shape I took an unrecoverable cut out of it.

I flipped my blank after mounting it to the screw chuck and cut too deep on the bottom, a plug on wood like this is obvious.

What I'd like to get input on, when you guys have things like that happen, how do you 'fix it' or embellish the piece to disguise things like that.

thanks again!

David E Keller
01-05-2011, 8:36 PM
Sorry to hear about the mishap... I generally chunk these in the scrap pile rather than trying to fix them. Depending on how I destroy a piece, sometimes I'll save a disaster to use as a jam chuck or something like that, but they generally find their way to the trash.

Roger Chandler
01-05-2011, 8:51 PM
Lee,

This one would be a prime candidate for a thread about our turning mistakes we put on a few days ago, in which a number of turners have posted a picture of a turning gone wrong...........you are welcome to add yours...............the thread is "Pics of a stupid mistake" and you will be in fine company with a number of the best turners on this forum! :eek:;):D

Kyle Iwamoto
01-05-2011, 8:54 PM
I keep my funnel/diet bowl on my desk at work. It's a constant reminder to try not to make another one. I recently added another funnel though, so that theory is not working.....
IF I were to attempt a fix, it would be with a contrasting wood, and that is what I had in mind from the very beginning....

Lee Koepke
01-05-2011, 9:16 PM
Roger, I considered that. If I'd taken a picture as my walnut rim got torn apart it would have been a better story .... this piece was intended from the beginning to be a tester anyway ( I am glad the grain on the sycamore didnt turn out to be really pretty ).

Although my wife still likes it .... even with the plugged hole in the bottom

Peter Fabricius
01-05-2011, 9:34 PM
Lee;
I fixed a bowl with a problem like yours by insetting a segmented insert plug, and it looks like it was intended.....

Peter F.

Ron Stadler
01-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Lee;
I fixed a bowl with a problem like yours by insetting a segmented insert plug, and it looks like it was intended.....

Peter F.

I remember that one, that was a great fix. Hmmm, maybe I'll do this with my recent funnel I made.