PDA

View Full Version : Green wood

Jim Pavlicin
01-05-2011, 7:07 PM
I was wondering what is the best way to seal green wood. Especially burls. Can I use melted wax?

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 7:11 PM
You could use melted wax but find it cracks on me. I use anchorseal or greenwood sealer. When I first started I used some cheap paint from walmart which did well with 2 coats.

Jim Burr
01-05-2011, 7:51 PM
I have always had excellent results with latex paint. I go to Lowes and get the stuff no one picked up, usually toss it to me for $3-5 a gallon. Slop it on thick and walk away. Just did a 10"x10" piece of cherry yesterday and a bunch of olive 6 months ago. Still holding up.

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2011, 8:06 PM
I've used latex paint but never had a lot of luck with it. Always figured it was because the paint and the wood - are water based. The paint can't dry totally until the wood under it does. When that happens - the wood cracks. Just my rationale on what happened to me.

I've been using anchorseal for a few years now. That stuff works!

Brodie Brickey
01-05-2011, 8:17 PM
Something to keep in mind...the wood sealer only keeps the block for so long (whichever type you use). I would recommend planning on turning everything at least rough within 6 months for best results. I have some that is 2 years old, but a lot fails at that point.