PDA

View Full Version : Kingshott tools stolen

Russ Allen
01-08-2005, 2:49 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm surfacing again to post another stolen tool report. I received the message below from Jim Kingshott's grandson.

Russ

Dear Sir,

I was hoping that you could please keep an eye open, and also let anyone
in the trade know that a large selection of japanese chisels, saws and
planes as well as a set of Robert Sorby Bevel Edged Chisels, a handmade
Chariot plane, block planes, Clifton Spokeshaves, Western saws mainly
Disston and the old style Roberts and Lee, they will have a stamp on
them saying KINGSHOTT or R.J.KINGSHOTT if you do come into contact with
anything with those stamps on them I would be most grateful if you could
let me know as a large selection of my tools and inherited ones where
stolen on the 7th January out of my tool chest they were taken in the
mahogany drawer units from inside the chest so these may also come up.

I am willing to pay for the return of any that come up. These will be
very unusual due to the Kingshott stamp, and high quality of the tools.
I would be most grateful due as these are tools I built up with the help
of my Grandfather and have great meaning as well as the use I had with him.

Many thanks
Allan Kingshott
(Grandson of Jim Kingshott)

Randy Moore
01-08-2005, 3:01 PM
Russ,

Where are you located and where were the tools when stolen? Was the tools at home or where you work? The theives ought to be strung from the highest tree w/very short rope. You might look in the pawn shops, garage sales, the want ads in local papers and tell your friends to be on the look out for them. Who do you think might have taken them?
I DO NOT put up with people who steal tools.
Randy

Marc Hills
01-08-2005, 3:06 PM
This is more than just stealing some fine old tools. This is the theft of a family's legacy. That makes this crime particularly heinous. There exists a particularly warm inner circle of Hell for people like this. I'll keep my eyes out on eBay.

Russ Allen
01-08-2005, 3:43 PM
Russ,

Where are you located and where were the tools when stolen?

Randy,

The tools weren't stolen from me. I was just passing on the email I received from his grandson (presumably because of my Kingshott Shrine). I could ask him for those details. I'm assuming the theft took place in England. I agree that bad things should happed to whoever took them.

Russ

Jeff Sudmeier
01-08-2005, 4:57 PM
Reminds me of a time that we were on a job and one of the other guys say some guys (20s) stealing some hand tools out of his truck. He waited until they got clear of the cars and threw his 22 oz hammer at them. Didn't hit them, but it hit close enough to them that they dropped what the stole and ran.

I agree that those who steal tools, especially those with such sentimental value are very low on my list.

Corvin Alstot
01-08-2005, 5:51 PM
Thieves respect property; they merely wish the property to become their property that they may more perfectly respect it.
-- G. K. Chesterton (http://www.amusingquotes.com/h/c/G._K._Chesterton_1.htm) (The Man Who Was Thursday, 1908)

Hope they recover them. As rare as they are, they will eventually show up.

Allan Kingshott
01-09-2005, 4:46 AM
Many thanks to Russ for the initial intro into this site and his help.

The extra information that people may be looking for:

the tools were stored on a business site in a lockup unit whilst i built a workshop at home. This was based on the Wiltshire/Dorset borders in the UK.

Luckily at the moment it just seems to be all my tools and half the insides of my chest (a copy of Jims), unfortunately alot of these were either made or given to me by Jim, like the small chariot plane and mitre plane in the Making and Modifying tools book.
All of my saws and Jims Saws are missing, including handmade Japanese ones, as for power tools well they are replaceable so no worry there.
I have alerted Pennyfarthing tools in Salisbury and will be off to local car boots today. But if anyone does hear of anything please mail me.

Again thanks for all the support on this very hard thing to deal with.
Allan Kingshott