PDA

View Full Version : RIP Russ Fairfield

Dan Forman
01-05-2011, 4:12 PM
Sad news... Russ Fairfield passed away early last evening. He will be remembered as a great turner who was a very active member of the Inland Northwest Woodturners - one of our "go to" guys for presentations - and a turning instructor at our local Woodcraft store, under who's guidance I turned my first bowl. Here is a link to his website, a treasure trove of information about turning and especially finishing. http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Index.html

He will be missed

Dan

Neal Addy
01-05-2011, 4:53 PM
This is a great loss to the turning family.

RIP, Russ. We'll miss you.

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 5:02 PM
That is some sad news. May he rest in peace. He will be missed.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2011, 5:17 PM
Rest in Peace Russ. Thanks for the unacknowledged help your website gave me. You will be missed.

Lupe Duncan
01-05-2011, 5:23 PM
My Condolences to his Family.

He will be greatly missed....

Paul Douglass
01-05-2011, 5:48 PM
My condolences to Russ' family, friends and the turning community. His videos were the first ones I purchased when I started turning and wanted to learn to turn pens. I visited his site often and learned an awesome way to have razor sharp skews from him. Yes, he well be missed.

Curt Fuller
01-05-2011, 7:15 PM
That truly is sad news. Although I've never met Russ, I've referred to his website more times than I can count. I've always admired people like him that are not only generous in passing along what they have learned but also intelligent and articulate enough to do it so well. Happy Trails Russ!

Jim Burr
01-05-2011, 7:41 PM
Good bye to another old "friend". I remember a quote from a movie, although I don't remember which one, "Perhaps we have reached the age where God stops giving us things and starts taking then away." Certainly another to be missed deeply.

David DeCristoforo
01-05-2011, 7:54 PM
I didn't know Russ but I'm always sorry to see a good man go down. Such is life. Our condolences to his family and friends....

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2011, 7:56 PM
Rest in Peace Russ. Thanks for all that you gave! You will be missed! Prayers for comfort sent to family and loved ones for their loss.

David E Keller
01-05-2011, 8:26 PM
Certainly sad news and a tremendous loss to the turning community. Best wishes to his family and close friends in a difficult time.

Rick Markham
01-05-2011, 9:39 PM
Condolences to Russ' family and friends. I hope he finds himself in front of the biggest lathe, with an endless supply of burls and rare woods, with tools that never dull, and satisfaction that is never ending!

Cathy Schaewe
01-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I am sorry to hear this. In the short time I have been turning, I have referred to his site many times, and found his comments to be very helpful. Yet another reminder that life is very short -

Jake Helmboldt
01-05-2011, 10:45 PM
I actually just found his site a few months ago; some great info on bowl proportions, and some humorous, candid rules to live by. Russ seemed like a gem of a guy. Condolences to friends and family.

Pierce Davidson
01-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Very sad. I've often visited his site.

Dick Mahany
01-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Rest in eternal peace Russ, and thank you for all that you have shared, taught, and passed on to us. You will be missed by many, even those of us who have never met you personally.

With fond thanks,

Alan Trout
01-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Very sad, Rest in peace Russ.

Mark Hubl
01-06-2011, 2:11 PM
Very sad news. Like many, I never met Russ. Also like many, he was one of my "electronic" mentors. I read much of the information on his website and referenced it often. For me he exemplifies what I so appreciate about our wood turning community. He shared his knowledge and skills openly, mentored many and had a nice sense of humor. May he rest in peace. My prayers go out to his loved ones.

Jeff Luedloff
01-06-2011, 6:28 PM
Very sad time for the turning world, our prayers go out to his family and friends. Thank you Russ for all you did for the world of turning, Rest in Peace.