PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Universal Knife Grinder

mark hettinga
01-05-2011, 2:53 PM
has anyone had experiance with one of these? Its the only unit out there that i have seen that has the capacity to do 20" planner knives. I really do not like having to re-set up the tormek to do the longer knives...:confused: This is a Grizzly brand btw.

John TenEyck
01-05-2011, 8:22 PM
I have one of these. I sharpen my dull planer blades with water stones because it's faster and better, but if I nick a knife I use this grinder. It does a great job of removing the nicks while keeping the knife straight. The only precaution is that you have to take very light passes in order to prevent over heating of the knife. A benefit of this machine is that once you set up the knife holder to handle the worst knife, you can index the other knives into the holder and they will all be the same width and, therefore, mass after sharpening so that your planer head remains balanced. The ground edge is not as fine as from my water stones, but is good enough to put straight into the planer w/o additional honing. Overall, I'm happy with the machine. Just take very light passes.