PDA

View Full Version : Digital Caliper Purchase Help Please

Roger Bullock
01-05-2011, 2:15 PM
I'm looking to buy a digital caliper for general use in the woodshop. What do you use, pros and cons, and price points please.

Lee Schierer
01-05-2011, 3:09 PM
I'm not a pro and haven't slept in a Holiday Inn Express either. I purchased a $20 digital caliper from Harbor Freight after my dial caliper died due to sawdust poisoning (dust in the rack gear). It has worked fine for several years and provides more than sufficient accuracy and repeatability for woodworking. Remember it is wood and it can change a few thou from one day to the next just due to humidity change.

Jordan Lane
01-05-2011, 3:16 PM
i highly recommend these .... http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=TK610-0045

Dave Sweeney
01-05-2011, 3:23 PM
+1 on the Harbor Freight. I've used one for many years and its never gotten me into any trouble.

james glenn
01-05-2011, 3:25 PM
I have both the HF digital caliper (the fraction one) and the one from Rockler.

I recommend the HF one if you don't want to spend a ton. I do not like the Rockler at all. Heck, the HF one
at least came with a case to protect it.

Cary Falk
01-05-2011, 3:25 PM
I also have the HF fractional digital caliper. I am still happy with it after about 3 years. I don't remember what I paid for it but I think it was just under $20.

Mark Ashmeade
01-05-2011, 3:54 PM
+1 on HF Fractional. I originally bought the other slightly cheaper caliper, only to find out when I got home that it is decimal only. The fractional one was a whole $3 more expensive. I think it was $15 on sale.

These are like pocket calculators and multimeters. They are so inexpensive and sufficiently featured and accurate for most tasks. I don't see how a much more expensive caliper would function any better. Or calculator or multimeter.

Rich Engelhardt
01-05-2011, 4:09 PM
+whatever on the HF ones. I have a fractional, one of the better metal ones - both of these have a case - and one of the real cheap plastic ones.
They all work as expected and are accurate.

They do eat batteries though....

Victor Robinson
01-05-2011, 5:08 PM
I bought one on Amazon for $11. It works fantastically, no problems. The only thing I wish I had paid attention to was having a fractional inches display - make sure you get one that does!

Richard Wolf
01-05-2011, 5:18 PM
I don't like using them, even the factional ones. I always use a factional dial caliper. The problem with the digital are. 1) they use batteries fast, and 2) is 25/64 larger or smaller than 3/8", if you have to think about it for more than 2 seconds, get a dial.

Roger Jensen
01-05-2011, 5:29 PM
I agree with Richard that they are too difficult to use due to the changing denominator in the fraction. Doing the math between 8ths, 16ths, 32nds, 64ths and 128ths introduces too many opportunities for error.

I recommend a good quality dial caliper.

Roger

David Hawxhurst
01-05-2011, 5:40 PM
seems that we should just change to decimal measuring devices or metric. machinists use decimal its much easier.

Brad Shipton
01-05-2011, 6:01 PM
I have bought several of the cheap versions. Some of the plastic stuff can break if you drop the cheapos. They all functioned reasonably, but one set did not have an auto off feature. That made it really hard on batteries. Another set did not have the little wheel for microadjusting. That feature is handy for setups or dovetail layouts.

The next set I buy will say Starrett or Multito...

Brad

Neil Brooks
01-05-2011, 6:09 PM
Count me in. Happy HF dig caliper owner, too !

Jerome Stanek
01-05-2011, 6:20 PM
I buy from this company anf they go have some good prices Production Tool here is a web page of their flyer with the Mitutoyo

http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGPTSRFC?PAMENU=4_1&PARTPG=CGPTLMFC&PMTYPE=FLYER&PMFLNM=PTS%20END%20USER%20NOVEMBER&PMEFDT=1101101&PAMODE=*ENTR&PMPAGE=0020

Kent A Bathurst
01-05-2011, 6:21 PM
I agree with Richard that they are too difficult to use due to the changing denominator in the fraction. Doing the math between 8ths, 16ths, 32nds, 64ths and 128ths introduces too many opportunities for error.

I like the dial fractional for a related reason - the analog "ticks" on the dial visually correlate to the analog "ticks" on the other stuff - TS, CMS, etc. I know that each tick on the calipers [1/64] is one-half a tick [1/32] on the others - so I think in terms of "plus one tick", or "minus a half tick". Stopped a lot of errors. Now, if someone comes out with electronic fractional calipers that have an analog display...........

FWIW - the other thing that I started doing years ago that stopped a lot of errors - I make notations [written or mental] in 16ths. Ain't no such thing as 3/4 in my world, but there is 12/16.

Van Huskey
01-05-2011, 6:56 PM
I have one of the Wixey digital fractional ones I got on sale at Woodcraft BUT I still have an analog set from years ago I keep because of the battery issue. The battery drain on all those small digital items is horrible and I honestly think some sort of mechanical switch to break contact with the battery would be a useful addition to them, I know I could take the battery out etc but it would be nice to have something like that.

Tony Joyce
01-05-2011, 7:07 PM
They do eat batteries though....

I have an old Brown & Sharpe that I bought several years ago and the battery lasted for several years(it was used daily). The one's I get now only last a few months. It's beginning to make me wonder if the big brand name(expensive ones) have a longer battery life, because they are indeed made better? I know batteries are cheap, but it very aggravating to try an measure something and have to take time to hunt up new batteries! End of rambling rant.

Clarence Miller
01-05-2011, 7:10 PM
I have had Harbor Freight and the higher dollar versions as well. They both bend about the same when you forget they are in your back pocket and jump on a fork lift.

Andy Sowers
01-05-2011, 7:18 PM
i got one a Rockler on sale... can't remember which model it is, but it is a fractional digital model (this one I think: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18651&filter=caliper). I think I picked it up for ~20$ on sale. Downside is that it EATS batteries, and as other folks have pointed out, I frequently have to pause to convert the 1/128th fractions into decimals... its making me start working in the decimal mode for convience alone...

I second finding a good dial caliper instead...

Neil Brooks
01-05-2011, 7:30 PM
I have an old Brown & Sharpe that I bought several years ago and the battery lasted for several years(it was used daily). The one's I get now only last a few months. It's beginning to make me wonder if the big brand name(expensive ones) have a longer battery life, because they are indeed made better?

I actually doubt that's the connection. I'd sooner guess that the lower end companies are saving every penny they can, by buying the cheapest batteries they can.

I consider the OEM batteries, in almost everything I buy, to be throw-away. I buy good ones, when/where I can, and ALWAYS have better life out of 'em.

Bruce Wrenn
01-05-2011, 9:35 PM
I have the HF digital ones that read in fractions, tenths, hundredths, and thousandths. It is so much easier to add when all numbers are in the same format. Get a fractions / decimal / Mm card from most any machine shop vendor (freebie), and glue it to the case. My first HF ate batteries, but my second doesn't. When I mentioned this to HF store manager, he said bring first one back, and use receipt from current one to do exchange. Apparently HF was aware of battery eating problem. As for batteries, mine uses AG-13's, which Dollar Tree sells a pack of eight for a buck and tax.

Dewayne Reding
01-05-2011, 9:47 PM
Loved mine. Don't get a plastic one unless it is VERY cheap. They are plenty accurate right up until they break. Spend the extra 10 bucks.

george wilson
01-05-2011, 10:18 PM
I ALWAYS lay my dial calipers FACE DOWN so that little chips cannot get into the rack. Just lay them carefully so you don't scratch the crystal. Better than laying them so crud can get into the rack.

Tony Joyce
01-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I actually doubt that's the connection. I'd sooner guess that the lower end companies are saving every penny they can, by buying the cheapest batteries they can.

I consider the OEM batteries, in almost everything I buy, to be throw-away. I buy good ones, when/where I can, and ALWAYS have better life out of 'em.

Problem is I'm not getting any better life with the name brand batteries(Eveready &/or Duracell) than I am the OEM ones!!

Mike Henderson
01-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Buy an analog dial caliper with the dial marked in fractions as well as decimal. It's MUCH easier to see the relationship between fractions on an analog dial than to do the math in your head (which a digital requires you do). I bought a Starrett analog dial fractional caliper a few years ago and it was around $45. Might be higher now.

Mike

Neil Brooks
01-06-2011, 9:41 AM
Problem is I'm not getting any better life with the name brand batteries(Eveready &/or Duracell) than I am the OEM ones!!

:(

Are they always pretty fresh (years until their shelf life date) ??

Buy an analog dial caliper with the dial marked in fractions as well as decimal. It's MUCH easier to see the relationship between fractions on an analog dial than to do the math in your head (which a digital requires you do)

Totally agree, BUT .... another perspective:

I'm TRYING [;)] to get my head around the conversion.

There are really only a couple handfuls of fractions that I'm regularly using, so ... through a combination of having a couple of fraction/decimal equivalent charts laying around the shop, and ... sheer force of will ... I'd really LIKE to just "get" that .875 = 7/8ths, .5625 = 9/16ths, etc.

Of course, there are charts all over the 'Net. Here's one that takes it BEYOND 1.00 -- kinda' handy:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/antfrac.html

I feel like ... my NOT knowing the more common ones ... holds me back, and sort of boxes me in, when making tool choices like this one.

Michael Simpson Virgina
01-07-2011, 5:59 AM
There are some good and bad digital caliper out there. The worst one I ever purchased came from Harbor Freight. It did not have an on off switch so it would go through those littl batteries like crazy.

I have another from Harbor Freight that does have an on/off switch. The battery cap keeps coming off.

The best one I own I got from Lowes. It was only $39 and has Fractions, Decimal inches and MM. It will convert to all three and is completly made of metal. Very solid. I would recomend it to others.

If you do a lot of CAD you can get a digital caliper with a computer interface for sending measurmeent directly to your cad software of spreadsheet.

Curt Harms
01-07-2011, 10:07 AM
I bought mine from a local vendor. The battery life (SR44) is perfectly acceptable--mine last about a year. I wish it didn't have fractional x/128 though, x/64 is much more practical.

BOB OLINGER
01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I purchased my first digital one from HF during the summer. They have several models, I just bought the one on sale at the time for about $20 or so. Came with a case, works great, surprising how many times I've used it.

John Coloccia
01-07-2011, 12:56 PM
I have lots of dial and digital calipers in my shop. I really like the mechanical dial for measuring inside diameters, for instance, because finding the longest dimension is easier. There's uses for both. If I could only have one, I'd take the mechanical, but fortunately I can have more than one :)

fRED mCnEILL
01-08-2011, 7:48 PM
My caliper that I got from Lee Valley does fractional, decimal and metric. I like the fractional because my saw AND planer also have decimal readings so there is continuity among all three. However, my favorite tape measure is fractional so that cause a problem from time to time.

Dar Lounsbury
01-08-2011, 8:29 PM
Have a 6" Mitutoyo dial I bought 35/40 years ago to use in the motorcycle shop. Have used it for about 10 years in the wood shop and it is still going strong. Love it. Digital or dial will work well for you. To do over, I would buy a digital that reads fractions also. I have used the under $20 units with good luck. Cost is not the important factor here, buy what feels good.

Dar

Alan Schaffter
01-08-2011, 9:11 PM
I started with a HF but it quit in a month.

I have a Wixey and like the way it shows decimal and fractions at the same time.

To all those who wonder about the short battery life for many of the digital calipers (and other small digital measuring devices- It is only partially the battery's fault (when it uses tiny button batteries or is supplied with cheap ones).

The reason battery life is limited is because even when the display is off the sensor circuitry stays powered up so it retains calibration. You can't do it in a small caliper but you can use larger batteries on bigger devices the AAA's Wixey is starting to use on his new remote reading planer height gauge, angle tilt box, etc.

Stephen Pereira
01-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I got tired of buying batteris at four bucks a pop and now used my dial Starrett or Yuasa caliper. They don't have all the bells and whistles..instant conversion to metric or fractional reading but I figure if you need the accuracy of a caliper you shouldn't be thinking in fractions of inches in the first place.

Matt Day
01-09-2011, 12:31 AM
I've had one of these for about 4-5 years and love it. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-digital-caliper-47257.html

I probably go through a battery or two a year, but you can pick the batteries up cheap at places like HF and even the dollar store I think.

I don't mind the decimals (let's not get into why we have inches & feet in the first place!), and frequently use it as a depth finder. I couldn't be without it!