PDA

View Full Version : What length of sliding table on a sliding table saw.

Glenn Frazer
01-05-2011, 1:57 PM
I have been looking for a slider on and off for a year now. My search has been getting more serious with a march purchase delivery time looking more like a deadline (I have work coming up that will help justify it)
I know I am looking for a minimum 8 foot slider. I plan on buying a European built saw that will last a 1 man shop (using it mainly as a plywood only saw) 20 years.
Do I need to consider the 10.5 version that the local scm distributor has in stock and on clearance (as they are swtiching the s315ws from technomax to minimax branding) ?

All used single phase saws I can find are at least a 300 miles and border crossing away.
On a side note, anybody ahve any clue on cost of shiping a slider 4-500 miles?

The new saw is the technomax s315ws 10.5 slider with 4.8Hp single phase motor and a sepearte 1 hp scoring motor. I would have to buy the smaller secondary crosscut fence as an option as well as the straight line lumber shoe.

There are two used version of that same saw with the 8.5foot stroke as well as a 9 foot laguna (being sold for cheap $4200 with blades, 2 years old) I am considering

Rod Sheridan
01-05-2011, 2:03 PM
Glenn, if you're going to straight line plywood or solids in the 8 foot range, then you're looking at a slider in excess of 8 feet.

Give Felder a call in Mississaugua, see if they have any used MiniMax sliders. They seem to get a fair number in as a trade in.

Dado capability would be an asset as well.

Regards, Rod.

Jeff Monson
01-05-2011, 2:47 PM
Glen I have a 9ft slider, I can rip a full sheet of plywood which is nice. I have not had the need for a longer slider yet.

I'd second Rods suggestion to call Felder or check their website, I know they have a couple used sliders listed. Its worth
a phone call to them as they are very helpful and they will not bother you or try any pressure sales pitches.

I had my slider shipped this last fall, 700 mile trip cost me $1050.00. It did include a rigger to pick up the saw and bring it
to the shipper, also included prep for delivery as well.