PDA

View Full Version : Air Filters

Tom Winship
01-05-2011, 1:19 PM
Do most of you guys have air filtration units like the Jet suspended from ceiling? What is your opinion of these?

bob svoboda
01-05-2011, 1:24 PM
I've had the Jet for about a year. It traps a significant amount of fine dust that otherwise would settle all over the shop or possibly be breathed in. It may not be perfect, but is worthwhile IMO. BTW I also use dust collection and a Trend Pro for a three-pronged attack on dust.

Alan Zenreich
01-05-2011, 1:31 PM
I have this kind of unit in each of my basement shop rooms. I'll do whatever it takes to keep dust out of our lungs and the living spaces above the shop. So dust collectors, air filters, and of course powered respirators are the norm around my house.

Harry Robinette
01-05-2011, 5:26 PM
Tom
I think like Alan,Jet air cleaner,Delta dust collector, powered face shield lungs already damaged don't need no dust.But defiantly yes get a air cleaner they do help.
Harry

John Coloccia
01-05-2011, 5:35 PM
I have a Dylos that says my JDS does a fine job of scrubbing the air. It will drop my counts from 2500+ to a few hundred in about 10 minutes. The thing is, you don't really want to put it in the enter of the room. High, along a wall, relatively close to one end is good. You want to setup a circulation, and when you do that it works really well. It doesn't work in real time, though, i.e. as you're making dust it takes time to get rid of it, but it will keep that horrible fine layer of dust from settling overnight.

Paul McGaha
01-05-2011, 5:50 PM
I have the Powermatic.

I think an Air Filter is well worth having. I dont have an instrument to measure the air like John has but you can tell that it helps.

PHM

Don Alexander
01-05-2011, 5:53 PM
got a Jet 1000 and it works great if you are sanding and making a dust cloud of really fine dust you can literally see some of it go up towrd the filter though as John said real time isn't really what its designed for and i use mine in combo with my DC to significantly reduce the dust problem in my 12x12 shop 10 ft ceiling

i highly recommend it

Roger Chandler
01-05-2011, 6:33 PM
I use one of these units in conjunction with my dust collector, which collects at the machines, and also I use a Trend Airshield Pro.........I only have one set of lungs, and already having had pneumonia a couple of times over the last 22 years, then I decided to everything I can to protect them as they are healthy now, and I want to keep it that way!!!

Mine is a Delta.

Tom Winship
01-05-2011, 6:44 PM
Thanks, guys. You have convinced me. I do a lot of work in mesquite and it has very fine sawdust. Makes the walls red. (Probably the inside of my lungs also).

David Hostetler
01-05-2011, 6:50 PM
I have a Grizzly G0572 hung from the ceiling, with a PSI washable primary filter. I use this, my HF DC, and a 3M respirator when working particularly dusty operations such as sanding... Most of the time I use the DC solo. But some operations are just nasty...

Just to clarify though. Use the dust collector at the tool to collect as much dust as you can as it is being made. Failing that, use a respirator of some sort to protect your lungs. When you are done, and heading out of the shop, turn the filter on. Mine has a timer that I typically set for 1 hr...

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 7:14 PM
I have the Penn State unit and it does really well. I run it all the time I am in the shop and it has a remote plus a timer so it runs a certain time after I leave. I also have the DC and wear a respirator when sanding also.

Matt Ranum
01-05-2011, 9:51 PM
I have had the Delta unit in my shop for about 10 years, and it works great. My shop is 24x24x8 and it will clear the air at a decent rate. Bigger chips don't bother me so much but the stuff that hangs in the air is what I don't like and this takes care of that. I highly recommend getting one.

Dirk Hoogendoorn
01-05-2011, 10:18 PM
My air cleaning unit from Lee Valley is hooked up so that it runs on low speed when I turn on my shop lights, when needed I pull a cord and it comes on high speed. I use a Busy Bee dust collection unit and wear a Trend Pro unit when turning. Don't want to have a lung issue.

Don Alexander
01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
my suggestion would be run the filter 100% of the time you are working in the shop and if it has a timer on it like my Jet does set it before leaving the shop to run for a couple of hours

the only time mine is off when i am in the shop is when i walk in the door on the way to the remote to turn it on the motor on it pulls very little electric so its not going to spike your electric bill

the only noise it makes is the sound of air moving the motor itself is very very quiet

Brian Weaver
01-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I built my own using a blower out of a furnace. I use 2 filters on it, one for the heavier particles, one for the finer ( I can recall what micron they filter though). It also helps circulate the air for my wood stove. It probably doesn't work as well as store bought but I wouldn't be with out it. Looks like I better go get some new filters :D

Jake Helmboldt
01-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I built my own using a blower out of a furnace. I use 2 filters on it, one for the heavier particles, one for the finer ( I can recall what micron they filter though). It also helps circulate the air for my wood stove. It probably doesn't work as well as store bought but I wouldn't be with out it. Looks like I better go get some new filters :D

+1 I did like Brian. My friend has a mechanical company and he gave me furnace blower. I could have set it up with three speeds but for simplicty I just used a light switch and turn it on/off as needed.

Tom Winship
01-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I drove to Houston on Friday and picked up the Jet Air Filtration Unit. Hadn't been feeling really well for a few days. Long story short, wound up in the emergency room with pneumonia. I guess the system would have worked better if I had gotten it earlier.