PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q: Do I really need a jointer/planer?

Niels J. Larsen
01-08-2005, 2:06 PM
I'm a newbie woodworker, but the urge to create my own shop inventory, furniture etc. is high.
Currently I'm looking into how I should build a workbench for my shop (which isn't complete yet either (just bought the house 2 months ago...).
After reading a LOT of threads about workbenches and all the rest of the amazing projects you guys show here on the site, I'm constantly reading the words "jointer" and "planer".
I know what they are and what they do, but I'm thinking whether or not I REALLY need them (right now anyway).
Currently I have a Festool TS 55 EBQ plunge saw and hopefully I will receive my Festool OF 1400 EBQ router on Monday.

So, would I be able to e.g. assemble a top for a workbench out of a bunch of 2"x4"'s by using only these tools (I should say that I'll most likely add a Festool Rotex to the batch soon...) ?

Just to clarify - I'd like to be able to do what is usually done with a jointer/planer WITHOUT having any of those tools.
Is this at all possible ??

Cheers,
Niels

Ellen Benkin
01-08-2005, 2:24 PM
Yes, you should be able to build a workbench using only the tools you have now. You will probably want a jointer and a planer when you get into doing fine woodworking. Unless you are obsessive about the look of the workbench (I'm not) then you can build it with what you have. You can build one with just a circular saw and cordless drill depending on the plan you are using.

Dan Stuewe
01-08-2005, 2:36 PM
There is a lot to be said about this question. I'll just pass on what my experiance has been. (i've been a newbie woodworker for about 10 years now.) I have made several projects, none of which I used a planer. I buy all my wood with three "good" sides at a local lumber yard and just use the wood at the thickness they plane too. I have used a jointer on many projects to get a good edge for glueing up boards into a wider panel (I have used a friend's jointer). That being said, my wife bought me a planer for Christmas that I'm looking forward to using since I've bought some wood off of ebay that is a bit more rough than what my lumber yard provides. I also believe that while I think my lumber yard is pretty good about consitant thickness, I'd like to have that control for future projects. I'd also like to make smaller projects that would benifit from wood thickness other than ~13/16" (nominal "4/4" aka four-quarters).

As for the workbench, some would say that is the perfect project to give your arms some excersize and do it with hand tools. If that isn't what you want to hear, you can definatly make a good solid workbench with the tools you described. If that isn't what you want to hear, you must get yourself a new 20" jointer/planer combination machine from the excellent European manufacture of your choice.

Fred Hubert
01-08-2005, 3:13 PM
Having grabbed a Ryobi 13" planer on sale not long ago and received the Ridgid 6.25" jointer for Christmas I can't say I have a lot of experience with either. Especially since I've yet to actually use either one! However, I have used a jointer previously and planer as well and can tell you they are invaluable tools.

First, even when you purchase S4S lumber it isn't always perfectly flat or square because it may have moved some during the shuffle, especially the stuff available at the big box home supply stores. Starting with flat, square lumber goes a long way toward increasing the quality of your work. I may still be a beginner, but years of DIY home improvement and rental upkeep have made me very aware of the difference quality materials in correct dimension make.

The best news I can provide you with is that you will be able to purchase rough lumber with these tools and this will save you a lot of money. By all means compare your local lumber prices to get your own estimate, but I've heard from more than one source that after somewhere around 100 board feet of rough lumber you will have paid for your jointer & planer in lumber savings. After that it is money in your pocket... Of course, my estimate assumes a 6.25" jointer and 12.5 - 13" planer of moderate expense -- not Harbor Freight, but not Powermatic either.

~ Fred

Jeff Sudmeier
01-08-2005, 3:41 PM
You won't need a jointer and a planer, but you do need something to smooth the top with. You could use a hand plane or a belt sander. I have used a powered hand planer with some success. You won't get perfect results, but it will work.

Ted Shrader
01-08-2005, 5:31 PM
Niels -

To flatten the top of your workbench you could make a jig for your router. The jig is two straight edged boards attached on either side of the rough top and raised above the top a little. Then, add a piece to span between the two guides and attach your router to that. Using a straight bit you can make multiple passes to flatten the workbench top.

You will eventually want to to have both a jointer and a planer. Do plenty of research now so you will know which are the best choices and keep your eyes open for good deals. When one is available (used or new) - jump on it. You will be surprised where you hear about tools for sale. My neighbor has a .... and wants to sell it or I just bought a new .... and have to get rid of my old one. If you are pre-armed with knowledge, you will be able to take advantage,of the opportunities as they come.

Good luck,
Ted

scott spencer
01-09-2005, 12:48 PM
As has already been pointed out, you really don't "need" either, but they can make life in the shop alot easier and more rewarding. I use the jointer and planer for every project, and they allow me to start out with stock that's flat and square, which is great for furniture projects. The jointer and planer also allow me more versatility with my sources of wood...I can grab wood from almost anywhere and mill it to what I need.

There's a variety of ways to accomplish the same thing with other tools and hand tools. Alot of folks use a planer to reduce thickness and flatten faces...flatten requires a sled and shims of some sort. A router and TS can edge joint. A router jig can be made to actually flatten the face of boards with a router, but it looks really tedious. Then there's always the old masters who work their magic with hand planes. Another option is to just get the S4S wood and get things as close as you can...

Mike Tempel
01-09-2005, 4:08 PM
If you are building a workbench then I will second what those have said before me. You can get by without it.

On the other hand, if you are building up your shop inventory then YES you will need a planer and a jointer. And about a hundred other things that you haven't even thought of yet.

Christian Aufreiter
01-09-2005, 6:00 PM
If you are building a workbench then I will second what those have said before me. You can get by without it.

On the other hand, if you are building up your shop then YES you will need a planer and a jointer. And about a hundred other things that you haven't even thought of yet.

I can't speak for Niels but thinking has never been a problem for me. The real challenge is how I can get all those "things" (Altendorf table saw, Panhans shaper, Hema bandsaw, a shop full of Festools, ...) out of my head again ;) .

Dale Thompson
01-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Niels,
I will probably get "flamed" for this comment but - get yourself a good table saw(That should be the "heart" of your shop anyway), set it up accurately and install a Forrest WW II blade. With that said, you can forget about the "joiner". The "planer" will only be required if you want to substantially reduce the thickness of your stock. For stock under 3-4", you can even use the table saw/Forrest combo to eliminate the "planer". :)

Niels, don't get tempted by "words". There are plenty of people on this forum who can advise you on a step-by-step procedure to add to your shop and/or BUILD your shop. :)

I will be happy to provide my input if that is requested. :D :)

WELCOME TO THE "CREEK"!! :) :)

Dale T.