PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up My Basement Shop Finally!!!

james glenn
01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
So I have finally started the process of actually setting up my WW shop in the basement. I have been collecting tools, wood; and well, a lot of other things (junk) and realized that I need to get this sorted out right. As I get more serious about WW, I want a shop that I can use and not have to move 20 items just to get to a tool. Anyway, here are the pictures before everything is set up. I actually have spent about 4hrs at this point just moving and organizing.

I'll keep you all posted when it gets closer more refined.

And please let me know if you have any ideas or pointers for me.

Prashun Patel
01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Nice lookin' space. Ahh the possibilities!!! Where's yr DC? Having a basement shop, I can say that's probably the most important thing to have.

james glenn
01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Nice lookin' space. Ahh the possibilities!!! Where's yr DC? Having a basement shop, I can say that's probably the most important thing to have.

It's there, I have the HF 2hp just not set up yet (it is in one of the pictures). Once I get the tools located I will start setting that up as well.
The dust collector is definitely important, and I have the down draft table with 4 high quality furnace filters for the air as well.

Don Bullock
01-05-2011, 12:42 PM
James, good luck on our organization project. I'm doing the same thing, but I think you're way ahead of me.

james glenn
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
James, good luck on our organization project. I'm doing the same thing, but I think you're way ahead of me.

Don, good luck is right. We are going to need it.

I probably do have one advantage though, being an architect and using CAD all the time, I was able to design
a shop layout with needed clearances and maximum efficiency.

First thing I had to do was make some brackets for lumber storage. You can see one set up near the stairs.
I have the another set cut, just have to screw them to the wall.

james glenn
01-12-2011, 10:56 AM
I now have a plan of what I am doing.

Please have a look and provide any feedback/opinions, as
I could use all the help.

Please note the columns and existing items in the plan

Thanks to everyone in advance.
Jim

John Morrison60
01-12-2011, 1:41 PM
James
Looks like it has possibilities.
Fitting equipment and work space into a basement's constraints is difficult.
I like basement shops very much. I think it is worth the trouble.
It looks to me like you have located your T.S. in such a way that it can handle 4 x 8 sheet goods?
I initially tried that it my shop.
I finally gave up and placed the saw for better space utilization and smaller workpieces.
I made a cutting table that I keep in my garage (it folds)
Then I use a rail guided saw, (or the lumberyard) to make initial cuts.
That has made my shop into a much better place.

One side question.
Is this a newer house?
If so, how did you get by building inspectors without a handrail on your basement steps?
Just curious, I am currently making a very complex railing for an open stair well in my home.
An inspector was checking a small addition to my home, and when he walked past an
existing open stairway, he failed my final inspection because I did not have a "legal"
rail on that stairs.

Good luck with your shop.
John

james glenn
01-13-2011, 11:39 AM
James
Looks like it has possibilities.
Fitting equipment and work space into a basement's constraints is difficult.
I like basement shops very much. I think it is worth the trouble.
It looks to me like you have located your T.S. in such a way that it can handle 4 x 8 sheet goods?
I initially tried that it my shop.
I finally gave up and placed the saw for better space utilization and smaller workpieces.
I made a cutting table that I keep in my garage (it folds)
Then I use a rail guided saw, (or the lumberyard) to make initial cuts.
That has made my shop into a much better place.

One side question.
Is this a newer house?
If so, how did you get by building inspectors without a handrail on your basement steps?
Just curious, I am currently making a very complex railing for an open stair well in my home.
An inspector was checking a small addition to my home, and when he walked past an
existing open stairway, he failed my final inspection because I did not have a "legal"
rail on that stairs.

Good luck with your shop.
John

Thanks John, I was thinking about what you have done as well. First I am going to see how this
layout works and then go from there.

As for the handrail, I really am not sure how they got away with that. I don't do much residential design,
so I am not familiar with the exact code. But I thought the handrails weren't required if the basement wasn't a 'habitable'
space. (Not positive on that)

Code guys can be real nice or a serious PITA. Although, if you weren't modifying anything in that area of the home,
then it should have been grandfathered in, at least that is what we argue all the time.