PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw/Radial Arm Saw Cabinet

Thomas L. Miller
01-05-2011, 10:26 AM
I hope putting this post into the right forum.

I'm in need of some ideas/plans for a cabinet to house my 12" miter saw and a 10" radial arm saw. I have about 11' of wall space I can dedicate to this enterprise. The metal stand my RAS sits on now takes up way too much floor space. I'd like to get both saws at the same height, so they can share a "common fence". I've seen some great photos out there by haven't found any plans that would appear to work. I know there must be something out there. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Also, suggestions for dust collection for these two saws would be appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!
Tom

Bob Riefer
01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I don't have a RAS but this simple design could allow for one easily. Basically, I framed a "floor" and topped it with OSB. That's the surface the saw sits on. Then I built up a second level to bring the finished surface (topped with white melamine) flush with the top of my saw. I just cantilevered this off the wall and lagged into every stud. The space between the two levels is nice for storing tape measures etc.

Hope it helps, here are two older pictures to give you an idea

176410 176409

George Bregar
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Just build two cabinets and affix your two saws to a base that will sit on cleats to bridge between them. Adjust the base for each saw to make it's "table" flush with the top of the counter. Make sense? Here's a simple drawing to help and a photo of the counters I have to do what I'm suggesting (another shop build out "to-do"). The saw not in use can be stored in the space between the counters under the saw in use. Make a small enclosure behind the saw area for dust collection.

Don Bullock
01-05-2011, 1:10 PM
Bob and George, thanks for the posts. Using melamine for the tops is something I hadn't though about and I have the scrap to make mine out of just sitting around collecting dust. Bob, having a shelf under the miter saw for a tape measure, square, etc. is a super idea. George, I like your simple solution. I've looked at Norm's bench, but is seemed complicated. Your approach of a bridge connecting two base cabinets looks "doable" and easy. I'm thinking that the space below the bridge would house a dedicated vac with my Dust Deputy connected to a dust collection enclosure as you suggested. I could even install a removable panel on the front and insulate the back of the panel and cabinet ends to cut down on the noise. Hmmm -- I think this is a great job for this spring. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration.

George Bregar
01-05-2011, 1:59 PM
George, I like your simple solution. I've looked at Norm's bench, but is seemed complicated. Your approach of a bridge connecting two base cabinets looks "doable" and easy. It's much simpler and less costly. And can be used by a variety of machines (RAS, CMS, lunchbox planer) by simply making each machine base to bring the table flush with the counter top.

Thomas L. Miller
01-05-2011, 4:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I just ordered Tom Clark's book. I'm sure in my usual fashion, I'm making this much harder than it really is.
Tom

Victor Stearns
01-09-2011, 1:11 PM
I just finished adding a RAS to my cutting machines. As I already have the CPMS, I wanted them to share a common fence. I also wanted to free up the floor space underneath both machines. The photo shows the cure. The RAS needs some tweaks for the dust collection but overall I am satisfied with the results.
Victor

Jeffrey Makiel
01-09-2011, 3:10 PM
This has been in my shop for many years. I hope it may give you some ideas.

It's a great idea to combine a miter saw with a radial arm saw as to save space. On the left is the miter saw, in the center is the radial arm saw, and on the right was a flip-up top that allowed room for a portable planer. The portable planer was stored in the cabinet directly below the radial arm saw using a roll-out inner shelf.

I don't use the portable planer feature anymore. It's just too much for me to lift the planer. I made a separate cart for it.

Also shown below is an extension support that I just added to the table to allow me to cut long stock and use a flip stop.

The table is made from standard #1 fir studs that were trimmed exactly to 1 1/2" x 3". Half laps and screws with glue made the joints. The inner panels are 1/4 luan ply glued into a rabbet. The doors and drawer fronts are common pine. As with most things in my shop, it's on casters...that's important.

Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/3800x640.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/DSCF1660.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/DSCF1658.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/DSCF1656.jpg

Greg Urwiller
01-09-2011, 8:57 PM
Jeff: Your cabinet is just what I'm looking for and pretty much how I want to set up my RAS/miter saw. Do you happen to have any plans? Greg

Don Bullock
01-10-2011, 6:29 PM
Jeffery, that's an interesting solution. While I don't need the flip up function I do like the extension idea. Do you get much sag with the extension piece installed?

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2011, 7:03 AM
Jeff: Your cabinet is just what I'm looking for and pretty much how I want to set up my RAS/miter saw. Do you happen to have any plans? Greg

Greg...No. Sorry. The cabinet was built over 20 years ago using a paper plan which has long disappeared. However, its dimensions are based on the equipment you have and I'm not sure if detailed drawings are appropriate. However, perhaps I'll put some computer sketches of it together to give a general ideal of its construction.

Bob Durgin
01-11-2011, 7:10 AM
Jeffery, I like your idea. Do you have some detail on your extension? How it's all held together, and stored?

Jeffrey Makiel
01-11-2011, 7:10 AM
Jeffery, that's an interesting solution. While I don't need the flip up function I do like the extension idea. Do you get much sag with the extension piece installed?

Don, there's no sag at all. That swingout arm is real strong in supporting the first extension. If all I needed was the second extension, no further support is needed. I mooched this idea off of other similar designs that I've seen in various woodworking magazines over the years.

As for the second extension, there is a leg that drops down to the floor or else the second extension would sag somewhat when placing a heavy board on it.

Jeff :)

John Dowell
01-13-2011, 7:47 PM
That layout of Jeffery's looks alot like a plan that Norm on New Yankee WS offers for sale.

John Petsche
11-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Love the mobile miter/ras saw station by jeff.