PDA

View Full Version : First Band Saw

Greg Johnson
01-08-2005, 1:46 PM
I am looking at the Harbor Freight model 32208 14" band saw. I have survived for many years without one, but would like to add a band saw to my shop. The price is cheap enough that if I found that I really used it a lot, I could upgrade down the road. However, this breaks one of the fundamental rules I learned early on, that the cheapest tools end up being the most expensive, because you have to replace them so quickly. The limited reviews that I have seen on this model seem OK....

So, my question, does anybody have this saw and what are your opinions of it. My use would be very light home use. At this point I think it might be adequate quality to last me for years.

Thanks for any input,
Greg

Greg Johnson
01-08-2005, 8:32 PM
Well.... I ran down to Harbor Freight today and took a look at their band saw. It looks like a $229 band saw. Even for that price, it looks like it may be more trouble than it would be worth. I'm going to keep on shopping.

Greg

Ted Shrader
01-08-2005, 8:37 PM
Greg -

Good move! You will run across something else in your price range that will work and will be a good deal. Be it used or new. You would have had to put a lot of effort into tuning up the Harbor Freight saw and then the frame is still not that rigid, the castings aren't that great, etc.

Good luck in your search,
Ted