PDA

View Full Version : Air extraction

dave hensley
01-05-2011, 9:04 AM
Happy New Year everyone!

My new (first) laser will be shipping on the 10th!! :D

I want to get my air extraction system in place while I wait for my machine to arrive. I've read through all the post I could find on dust collectors that others are using with their lasers. I still have not made up my mind on which model I go with, but I have a question that may help me narrow it down.

My office is on the second level in my home and has an adjacent storage space which is unfinished. The laser will be located against the wall that divides the office and storage spaces, so I am planning to put the blower in the storage area and run the piping through the wall. In order to reduce the noise, I want to enclose the blower in a plywood box with some sound proofing.

What I don't know is how much air flow would a blower need to keep it from overheating?

Is the blower cooled by the air it would be pulling through the laser or do I need to allow air into the enclosure as well?

Randy Digby
01-05-2011, 9:54 AM
Dave, just a couple of thoughts/comments. On a typical blower arrangement, the motor does not enjoy the air flow generated by the blower, therefore the motor receives no cooling benefit from the blower. I would strongly suggest the installation of a fire/smoke detector near the blower if it is mounted in a remote area, especially if it is in the attic area.
Good luck with the new equipment and I hope start-up is easy for you.

dave hensley
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks Randy! That is sound advice and something that had not crossed my mind.