PDA

View Full Version : keeping throat round

charlie knighton
01-05-2011, 8:32 AM
will using dna bath keep throat round, or will it distort anyway, even 1/16 might upset a final base

describe what you do in dna bath

John Keeton
01-05-2011, 8:57 AM
Charlie, I have all of one DNA turning behind me!! So, take this for what it is worth.

The Copper Necklace piece was rough turned, and soaked. When I finish turned it, my guess is the opening was probably out by 1/32" or so - but definitely enough to mess up a finial base. I had not cut a shelf yet, and anticipated that I would need to clean up the opening some, so it was not a problem.

I think you can expect distortion throughout the piece - with more toward the outer edges.

Jim Underwood
01-05-2011, 9:33 AM
Glue it together first.

I know a guy (Frank Bowers) who roughs out his two piece hollow forms, then glues them together before they dry. Then he finishes them after they dry.

Dunno if that helps, but plan on the wood moving. Box makers will tell you even with dry wood to rough out the box and lid, tape them together, and then let them move (six months?) before finishing the box. Much depends on the species of wood...

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
I haven't found DNA bath to keep drying distortion from happening all together. Some might tell you it reduces it a bit but depending on the wood you still must allow for the wood to shrink radially across the grain. Close grained woods like cherry and maple move less than ring porous woods like oaks and locust. DNA mainly speeds up the process of getting cell trapped water out of the wood as compared to allowing it to air dry in a bag or after being covered with Anchorseal.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Charlie I have used the DNA bath quite a bit. I always leave the throats thicker so I have room to make the opening round and true. It will move a little and enough to make it difficult but to me they don't move as much as if drying by other methods.

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Charlie - I DNA all my green wood turnings and without an exception - everything warps. I always plan for that when roughing out - so leave things close to the 10% rule.