PDA

View Full Version : How to apply end panels

abram godshall
01-05-2011, 7:14 AM
How do you apply end panels to the sidewalls of your cabinets? Screws from inside the box into the panel or another way? Do you also put glue on?

Thanks in advance,
Abram Godshall

Roger Bullock
01-05-2011, 7:48 AM
It all depends on several things. If you are building new, what type of panel are you talking about, raised panel, plywood and size, or adding a panel to an existing cabinet. There are different methods that could be used for each. Give us a little more information.

Ken Deckelman
01-05-2011, 8:22 AM
In the kitchens I have done, I usually used Liquid Nails and my Pin Nailer, but I have screwed from the back side as well.

abram godshall
01-05-2011, 9:37 AM
the end panels are 3/4" thick ash boards with a routed detail to provide a shadow line. this is the wood we are using for rails,stiles, doors

Lee Schierer
01-05-2011, 10:01 AM
the end panels are 3/4" thick ash boards with a routed detail to provide a shadow line. this is the wood we are using for rails,stiles, doors

I use a rabbet joint in the face frame to attach the sides with glue. I've never had a joint fail. I do this for both solid wood sides and raised panel framed sides.

Steve Schoene
01-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Is it correct that this is a solid wood panel, not a frame with panel arrangement. If so you need to be concerned with wood movement when attaching to a plywood box. I would fix firmly at the front, and leave some room at the rear for expansion, and use slotted screw holes for the attachment at the rear to allow for that expansion, or for contraction.

Roger Bullock
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
If the ash panel is part of the case construction I would do as Steve suggested. If the panel will over lay the case construction, I would use screws in an enlarged hole to allow for movement. Got any photos?

Mike Goetzke
01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm building my first set of kitchen cabinets...so what do I know:rolleyes:. I used frame/panel end caps and I glued & pocket screwed the panel to the face frame. The when assembled to the cabinet box I pocket screwed it back/bottom/top.

Mike