PDA

View Full Version : My DC Layout. Will it work?

Joe Shinall
01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Ok, so after multiple DC questions, I have redone my shop layout to minimize the length of runs and have cut them in half. Here is a picture of the layout. Now instead of going up walls and over to the wall where my Jointer, RAS, miter saw, and lathe are, it just goes down the wall of the machines. I do have one run going up about 8 feet, over 10 feet, and down 8 feet.

I have the 2HP HF DC and I am going to run 6" piping because now I have found it for $2 a foot at a local plumbing supplier. So it cuts my total cost from what I figured was about $500 down to about $120. Thanks to the guys in my other thread that mentioned the 2729 sewer drain pipe.

So now my longest run will be about 26 feet as opposed to 40 feet as I thought before. So is this doable with my little HF cheapie with a Wynn filter????

Anthony Whitesell
01-05-2011, 8:16 AM
I don't see DC runs for the drill press, the bandsaw, or the dog.

Is this the current setup for your shop? I'm noticing the jointer in the corner with the outfeed headed towards the wall.

Bob Riefer
01-05-2011, 8:28 AM
I also noticed jointer aiming into the corner, that may be aggravating over time.

I have the right side of my table saw butting up to front edge of my miter saw counter top, and the jointer is to the left of the table saw. The two saw surfaces are set at the same height, and the jointer's tallest point is shorter than those surfaces. This setup allows me to come along the miter counter with my ducting to service all three of those machines with similarly short runs. Just in case that layout gives you any ideas.

Joe Shinall
01-05-2011, 6:10 PM
Sorry should have stated more. The jointer is on wheels so it will have flex hose attached to the back so when I pull it out I can rotate it to use. The bandsaw is right next to the DC so I'm not worried about that run. The drill press doesn't get much use and is actually being moved to my 2nd shop in the back. I also have a line on a Jet DC1200C Dust Collector. It's a 2 HP just like my HF, but I think being a Jet it might be a better quality DC. And it already has a 6" port so I won't have to modify it.

The side where the jointer is is a worktop all the way down at one height for the miter saw and RAS. The lathe and Jointer are on mobile bases and pull out from under the tables.