PDA

View Full Version : How to make my lines engrave thicker/wider?

Robert E Miller
01-04-2011, 10:59 PM
I design alot of parts in Millwrite and export the DXF into coreldraw then into lasercut 5.3. If your wondering why I do it this way it's because lasercut doesn't bring them in scale correctly otherwise. I am engraving an outline of the letters onto metal using the cut option. I need to make the outlined letters fatter or thicker. If I make the lines wider or thicker in coreldraw will the laser cut them as such?

Joe Pelonio
01-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Yes, in Corel, simply select the pen tool and make the lines wider (increase the points).

Richard Rumancik
01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Robert, I don't think that will work. Most lasers follow the centerline of a line or path when vectoring. If a wider line is used, (more than .003") then most of our lasers decide you want to raster it. I don't know what the Rabbit lasers do.

If by "fatter or thicker" you mean you want to "bold" the letters then you could consider the following in CorelDraw: a) convert text to curves b) use contour tool to offset the outline by .xxx" c) break contour group apart d) delete the original character outline.

Allen Isakson
01-05-2011, 5:36 AM
I have a Chinese laser also. When I need to widen my lines or text, I just lift my lens ( focus )up till i get the desired thickness. I do this often when I'm making signs.

Mike Null
01-05-2011, 7:02 AM
I favor Richard's solution. I've found that working out of focus is not always reliable.

Joe Pelonio
01-05-2011, 8:00 AM
Robert, I don't think that will work. Most lasers follow the centerline of a line or path when vectoring. If a wider line is used, (more than .003") then most of our lasers decide you want to raster it. I don't know what the Rabbit lasers do.

If by "fatter or thicker" you mean you want to "bold" the letters then you could consider the following in CorelDraw: a) convert text to curves b) use contour tool to offset the outline by .xxx" c) break contour group apart d) delete the original character outline.I missed "the cut option", sorry. That will only work when rastor engraving.