PDA

View Full Version : Vases

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2011, 10:22 PM
John Keeton here are two HF vases one is poplar with a walnut collar and foot which is 9 1/2" across and 3 1/2" tall. The other is walnut which is 11 1/2" across and 4 1/2" tall. Both are finished with several thin coats of lacquer. These were done after watching Brian McEvoy's DVD on two piece HF's. In other words you do the top half first and then the bottom half which are glued together for the final product. The most important point is to make sure that the glue joint is perfect or you will see the line. If you get it perfect you will have to look to see it. These were a ball to do and am planning some more hopefully after watching his newest DVD on embellishments to be able to do pyrography, airbrushing and piercing.

David Warkentin
01-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Those will be a good canvas for some southwest pottery pyrography. David

dan carter
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Nice looking HF. Now onward, upward, and get to burn'n. Seems they really will lend themselves to so pyrography.

Michael James
01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
nicely done Bernie! Good luck on your excursions here! Im really looking to see where you're going to go with the airbrush! Keep em coming.
mj

Dick Mahany
01-04-2011, 11:41 PM
I really like these, especially the dark color. Need to try one ! Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Doug W Swanson
01-05-2011, 12:14 AM
You did a great job of hiding the seam. The way the grain lines up you'd never know it was two pieces.....

I like the forms, too!

John Keeton
01-05-2011, 6:49 AM
Good job, Bernie!! I have enjoyed doing the ones I have done - it is a simple and fun process. You did a great job on the glue up, too. I suspect there are many ways to obscure the glue line should one want to experiment with the process.

I need to do another one!!

BTW, when Jim Adkins, the fellow that does the Basket Illussion pieces with beading, does one of his closed forms he does it in two halves and glues them together after they have been completely beaded, pyro work, and dyed on the inside!! Makes a fantastic piece. You may want to consider doing some pyro work on the inside of one of these for that "how did he do that??" factor.

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the kind comments. John I had thought about that. Maybe when you look in the opening there would be a pyro object inside on the bottom. There are so many possibilities. I can see where doing these in two pieces that getting the top down to less than a 1/8" sure would make piercing easier to do.

Ron Stadler
01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I really like the Walnut one Bernie, looks really nice.

bob svoboda
01-05-2011, 1:26 PM
Thos are very cool, Bernie. Nice work. Especially like the collar area on the Walnut piece.

Bill Hensley
01-05-2011, 2:03 PM
Nicely done, I'm more partial to the walnut.

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 7:16 PM
Thanks again. I agree the walnut looks nice and I do live turning walnut.

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2011, 8:41 PM
Bernie - that is really cool! Have to admit that this is an ingenious way to use up some of those funnels everyone has laying around!!!

Looking forward to seeing where this takes you! Have fun!

steven carter
01-05-2011, 9:49 PM
Very nice Bernie! I like them both, but like the walnut best, nice curl and finish.

Baxter Smith
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Nice job Bernie. I am looking forward to seeing how you decorate them!

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks again. Right now Baxter I am just trying to figure out which way I want to go. Have been watching Brian's DVD and wow the options are the sky.

Steve funny you mention that. Brian said when doin the top when you reverse it to hollow it out that this one time when it is good to make a funnel. I just laughed and wondered what could have come of the funnels I have did.