PDA

View Full Version : Finding my mind...

David DeCristoforo
01-04-2011, 6:57 PM
So here is the "thing" with the modified pedestal. Thanx again to all who contributed their honest evaluation of this. I really still don't know what to think about it but AFAIC, it's done and it is what it is. Time to move on...

176310 176311

Dennis Ford
01-04-2011, 7:06 PM
I am not so sure that it was really lost but am glad that you found it! The "Thing" looks very nice, I like the way you mirrored the ogee in the base.

Bill Hensley
01-04-2011, 7:15 PM
David, the transition you made from the flower to stem is more gradual instead of abrupt as before. To me it looks much better and more organic.

I'm with you, time to move on. That one is done!

Rick Markham
01-04-2011, 7:21 PM
David, I think it made a huge difference, the form flows better. I spent the afternoon thinking about your "petal project" would you be willing to share some photos of the process with us? (I don't want to interrupt the process and I understand if that would be a burden) Maybe someone can spot something in your process that might be an "a-ha" technique or method. I think it's an exceptionally fascinating concept. How is your "sunburst" technique working, has it been improving to your satisfaction?

John Keeton
01-04-2011, 7:43 PM
David, I think the change made a significant difference in the overall appearance. It took away some of the "belly" of the ogee, and shifted some mass upward. I think it was a neat experiment, and the end result is well worth the effort.

It is interesting to share these journeys with you. Your patience is impressive - not sure I have the right "makeup" to pursue a particular technique as exclusively as you have done.

David DeCristoforo
01-04-2011, 7:53 PM
"...not sure I have the right "makeup" to pursue a particular technique as exclusively as you have done..."

No worries. I'll get tired of it eventually. I'm a bit what some might call "obsessive". Leo Kottke often describes one of his "favorite techniques" whereby he takes a beautiful, subtile melody and runs it into the ground". For now, I'm enjoying these things. But once I reach a point where I can't see any new possibilities, I'll move on.

Thanx to you and all the rest for all your helpful input.

Doug W Swanson
01-04-2011, 8:40 PM
David,

I know how we can be our own worst critics when it comes to things like this but either pedestal would have been just fine. I just think this one looks a little better.....

Don't be so hard on yourself!:D

JMO

dan carter
01-04-2011, 8:51 PM
Yes, that was a good change. Now, maybe a three petal is in order as a way to move on. :-)

David E Keller
01-04-2011, 9:29 PM
Had to google 'AFAIC'(As far as I'm concerned for those of you who are challenged like I am). I think the new and improved pedestal is just that... both new and improved. It's always interesting to see how changes in one element effect the overall appearance of the piece.

Ron Bontz
01-04-2011, 9:32 PM
Yes, yes, yes, very nice.

Curt Fuller
01-04-2011, 9:52 PM
I missed the original post so I went back and found it. I see the subtle changes to the pedestal and I think both look good. But I don't think that was where the problem was. I think you probably stated what you didn't like about it in the original post when you said "least exciting piece of the rosewood burl I acquired recently". I think your flowers work better with a piece of burl that has more spikes to accent the flower pedals. More burl action seems to make them look lighter and more interesting. Also, I've found with these pedestal pieces that the larger they are, the more difficult it is to make them look delicate and 'pretty'. Everything seems to get overweighted and out of proportion easier. But it's still a nice and very interesting turning. Sometimes you do something that just hits the mark in your own mind and no one else sees it, sometimes it's the opposite. This piece looks a lot better than you giving yourself credit for.

Baxter Smith
01-04-2011, 9:58 PM
Had to go back and look at your first post to compare. The flow between pedestal and base is improved and I think the color of the new pedestal is a better fit as well. Since the flower looks a little different too, is it just the lighting/white balance?

Brian Kent
01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I liked them both separately. Now they go together to my eye. Fine job.

David DeCristoforo
01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
"...I've found with these pedestal pieces that the larger they are, the more difficult it is to make them look delicate..."

That's probably an "axiom". This one started out as an experiment to see how the well form would work when scaled up with more mass.