PDA

View Full Version : Old tools in eastern TX/ western LA?

Jim Belair
01-04-2011, 4:28 PM
Any good tool haunts in the area around say, Beaumont TX to Lafayette LA - dealers, malls, etc.?

I'm headed way down there in a few weeks...

Thanks
Jim B

Pam Niedermayer
01-04-2011, 5:48 PM
Any good tool haunts in the area around say, Beaumont TX to Lafayette LA - dealers, malls, etc.?

I'm headed way down there in a few weeks...

I'd advise you to stop off in New England.

Pam

lowell holmes
01-04-2011, 8:39 PM
Pam,

Your not going to mention the First Monday Market in Canton Texas?

Google it.

Otherwise, I agree.

Lowell

Pam Niedermayer
01-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Your not going to mention the First Monday Market in Canton Texas?

Well, no, I've never been. It's a 3 hour drive one way from Austin and I'd expect to find a lot of stuff besides good tools. But it sounds as if you've been and it was rewarding. Are there good tool vendors? Jim, the next one is Feb 3-6, so it might be an option for you. According to that flea market show on PBS, you'd at least find humongous turkey legs. :)

Pam

greg Forster
01-05-2011, 8:39 AM
Best listen to Pam's advice... detour thru New England. A few years back, I spent a year working in Beaumont (2007-08) and did stumble on a few over-priced antique tools in the small antique shops out on Route 10.

The glory days (1970-1990s)of finding "undiscovered" antique tools is pretty much past ... I use tool dealers and Ebay for tool foraging nowadays.

Jim Belair
01-05-2011, 9:24 AM
Thanks for the advise. I agree, tool dealers are a better bet for less effort, but I always see others posting their great flea market finds. I'll check out the Canton option. Mmm... turkey legs.

Pam Niedermayer
01-05-2011, 9:50 AM
Thanks for the advise. I agree, tool dealers are a better bet for less effort, but I always see others posting their great flea market finds. I'll check out the Canton option. Mmm... turkey legs.

Don't believe all the stories. Besides, they never tell you when they get ripped off or pay way too much. :) Well, except for Todd Hughes, whose flea market skills are legendary, as are his abilities to always make a profit selling on the 'bay.

Pam

Dustin Keys
01-05-2011, 9:54 AM
I've had a little bit of luck at flea markets in smaller towns as well. I haven't been to Canton yet (it's a very large flea market), but I've stopped by a couple of small ones. Mostly I found junk, but I did find a few decent Bailey planes, Disston saws, and other various decent finds.

It only takes a few minutes on a Saturday to drop into one and browse around. It has been worthwhile the few times that I've done it now.

Dustin

Pedro Reyes
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
If you missed the New England exit, stop at any free WiFi spot in Beaumont, log in to uktoolshop, thebestthings, or brass city records, rust hunt away.

peace

/p

Tom Vanzant
01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Dowd's Tools in Garland TX, outside Dallas to the east, may have something of interest amongst the "old stuff". www.dowdstools.com (http://www.dowdstools.com)