PDA

View Full Version : tracking projects

Jeff Todd
01-04-2011, 4:25 PM
was wondering if anyone keeps good information (like a spreadsheet) on there finished projects. If anyone does this what type of information do they keep. like giving a project a "serial number" so if you needed to know stuff about that project you could look it up based on the serial#

kept information could include:

date made
Client information
how the client was to work with
Finish and or technique
wood used
products used in projects (suppliers) ex. hinges. slides. pulls.
cost to build project
price sold for
time to complete project
copy of plans (sketch up, or scan of drawing)
picture of finished project.

im sure there is a lot more information that could prove to be useful. but is this something that people do or does this just seam like a extra work

JT

Michael Peet
01-04-2011, 6:12 PM
I have made a number of custom kayak paddles for people, and I keep a text file for each one containing measurements and notes. Pretty low tech, but then again I do this for fun and I get more than enough of the formal stuff at my day job ;)

Mike

Shawn Christ
01-04-2011, 9:44 PM
No serial numbers or UPC codes here. But I have very few customers outside my home or immediate family. I keep the sketchup plans on the computer and also a copy of my shop plans with handwritten notes in a binder. On the finished piece I sign and date it and also add a printed label with abbreviated finish information (stain and topcoat). That info helps to match pieces later if necessary.