PDA

View Full Version : Jet Table Saw

Stan DeVaney
01-04-2011, 4:05 PM
Hi
I am looking at an advertisement for an old Jet table saw Model CT AS 10, approx 15 years old. Apparently it is a cabinate saw with a 220 3 horse motor. I can find no information on Jet's website for this saw and really don't want to drive 200 miles just to look at without some idea what it's like. He's asking $425. Any idea where I could obtain information on this saw?
Thank you
Stan

scott spencer
01-04-2011, 4:23 PM
Stan - I can't answer your question, but I'd advise finding out what fence is on the saw before planning a trip.

Stan DeVaney
01-04-2011, 5:37 PM
Scott
He said he had replaced the rails to accommodate larger sheet goods but we didn't discuss the fence as I wasn't too concerned. I have a new T-2 on my present saw which I would keep unless the replacement saw's fence was better. I have a very small shop and am really limited to about 30 inches. Anything bigger than that and I would be beyond cramped.
Thank you for the reply
Stan

Van Huskey
01-04-2011, 6:00 PM
This may give you a start http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/item/jetasian-10-tilting-arbor-saw-ctas-10-parts-manual/

Google as Jet CTAS 10 get lots of results

PS the above is showing that the 3hp motor is 3 phase and the 2 hp 1 phase, you may want to check before the trip if that is an issue for you!

Stan DeVaney
01-04-2011, 7:25 PM
Van
That pretty much answers my question. Thank you very much. It's definitaly an old saw so parts may be impossible to get. At the same time it may not need any or they may be standard USA issue. I'll look a little more on line but I think I'll pass on this one. If it was the quality of an old Unisaw I'd probably go for it.
Thanks
Stan

Van Huskey
01-04-2011, 7:27 PM
Van
That pretty much answers my question. Thank you very much. It's definitaly an old saw so parts may be impossible to get. At the same time it may not need any or they may be standard USA issue. I'll look a little more on line but I think I'll pass on this one. If it was the quality of an old Unisaw I'd probably go for it.
Thanks
Stan

Would be my thoughts exactly, though I did not somewhere looking around that it was also sold to/through Grizzly so parts may be less of an issue if you can devine what the Grizzly part number was. In the end it is a lot of money for an old Asian saw that might be 3 phase.

Andrew Nemeth
01-04-2011, 9:06 PM
I have a Jet tilting arbor saw (JTAS-10). Mine was made in 1984 and I purchased it in 2007. In addition to the 3ph 3hp, there are 1ph 3hp saws (I know because I have one). The standard fence is a "jet lock" type fence with tubular rails front and back. I have been very happy with mine. I'm not sure who the motor manufacturer is, I know it's an Asian import, but it is very stout with a large cast heat sink. A few things to consider when purchasing a saw from this era. 1) Very poor dust control. I added a 4" port into the cabinet and plan on adding an above table pickup. 2) No riving knife. An aftermarket splitter is probably a good idea. 3) I think all of the saws from Jet at that time are right tilt. It took me a while to get used to the blade tilting toward the fence. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about the saw. FWIW, I paid $500 for mine.

Van Huskey
01-04-2011, 10:32 PM
I have a Jet tilting arbor saw (JTAS-10).

Just be aware that the JTAS-10 and CTAS-10 are two different saws.

Andrew Nemeth
01-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Just be aware that the JTAS-10 and CTAS-10 are two different saws.

Van, thanks for catching that, my mistake! I must have read the original post too fast. My comments are indeed about the JTAS-10 not the CTAS-10 for which the original inquiry was about.

Van Huskey
01-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Van, thanks for catching that, my mistake! I must have read the original post too fast. My comments are indeed about the JTAS-10 not the CTAS-10 for which the original inquiry was about.

I made the same mistake and was about to respond when I reread the post...