Ronald DeWeese Sr.
01-08-2005, 9:24 AM
Having a small shop I am thinking of purchasing a Performax
benchtop sander, model 10-20 plus, which weighs 74 lbs. I
want to mount it in a swivel-topped tool cabinet much like
Wood Magazine's idea shop 2000. I want to mount my 80 lb
Dewalt 12 1/2" planner on the under side. My questions are
as follows:

1.Is this to much weight for this style of cabinet?

2.Does any one have the phyiscal size of this sander?

3.Any experience with this sander?

I really like the knowledgable input all you guys have. Thanks.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Jim Becker
01-08-2005, 12:10 PM
You can email Performax to get the dimensions...I did that when I was buying my 22-44 Plus not long ago. I don't think you'll have a problem mounting it to the WOOD Magazine swivel top cabinet...just be sure you make adjustments for the dimensions of both tools. In fact, the weight of the two devices are not all that different so rotating it should be relatively easy.

The 10-20 Plus is a nice machine and is based on the proven design of the 16-32 Plus that's been around for many years. It's just smaller in physical size and capacity. Since you will be more likely to need to run panels through in both directions to get the full width, you'll want to pay careful attention to setting things up initially for best results (and invisible "sanding seams") and check it often given your rotating mounting situation.

Jim Dunn
01-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Ron,

Thanks for post those questions as I am too thinking of purchasing a drum sander of the same type.

And Jim, thanks as always for the concise and informative responce, always helpful.

Brian Hale
01-08-2005, 1:36 PM
Overall dimensions: 17.5" wide x 27.25" deep x 20" high. If you consider sanding a 20" wide panel, add 10" to the 27.25" dimension

I did a brief review of this sander a few months ago

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13659

I find i'm using it more and more often, it's a very handy tool!

Brian

Keith Outten
01-08-2005, 3:19 PM
Ronald,

I also own the Performax 10/20 and I'm really pleased with the quality and performance. I posted a Gloat thread with pictures of my 10/20 mounted on a hydraulic table months ago. If you are interested in thickness sanding very thin stock this machine will do the job, most of the big sanders won't. I have also been sanding Corian which is a bit tougher job than wood and the 10/20 works well.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-08-2005, 3:38 PM
I did not know that they made a 10/20. Sounds like it would be a very handy tool! I was thinking about a 16/32, but now I will have to look a the 10/20

Jim DeLaney
01-08-2005, 4:26 PM
Having a small shop I am thinking of purchasing a Performax
benchtop sander, model 10-20 plus, which weighs 74 lbs...http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ron,
the dimensions you were already give are correct, but as for the weight, My manual says it's 94 pounds, not 74. That may make a difference in how you choose to mount it.

I like mine, although with the recent household move cross-country, I haven't had a chance to get a lot of use from it yet. One thing, though - you <B>Must</B> use it with a dust collector. It really throws out the dust, and the port will clog quickly unless the DC is hooked up to it.

Ronald DeWeese Sr.
01-08-2005, 5:46 PM
Thanks Jim B, Brian, Keith & Jim D for all the valuable info.
I plan to note the weight diff between the two. I"ll post
some pics after I order the cabinet plan & sander.

Thanks again! Ron

Thomas Prondzinski
01-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Ron

Just a heads up I see Rockler has the Perfomax 10-20 on sale this month for $399.00. Sale good until 1/23/05. This months sale flyer not sure if it is good on internet purhases or not

Tom