PDA

View Full Version : My first bowl

Warren Gibson
01-04-2011, 8:30 AM
Up until now, I have only turned pens and stoppers, so I spend most of my time over at IAP although I lurk here pretty often. I posted this over there, but thought I would get some opinions from you folks. I was pretty burnt out on pens and stoppers from trying to build up my pre-Christmas inventory, so starting the new year I thought it was time to try something new.

I guess it's finally time to get involved with my local turning club and start to expand my skill set.

This is a piece of honduran rosewood. 4 in. diameter by 3 tall.

Donny Lawson
01-04-2011, 8:33 AM
Nice bowl for your first attempt. I love the wood.
Donny

Lee Koepke
01-04-2011, 8:35 AM
Very nice.

I know that the smaller / deeper bowls are a bit more difficult to transition on the inside. You did good! I am on #3 myself and seem to like that as well. Learning the pen-making trials & errors right now ...

bob svoboda
01-04-2011, 8:58 AM
Way better than my first. Nice job and a great looking piece of wood.

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2011, 9:04 AM
Warren - Welcome to the Creek! Nice looking first bowl! Pretty wood! Have fun experimenting with forms!

Alan Trout
01-04-2011, 9:04 AM
Warren,

Overall a very good first bowl. I am not sure what tool you used to turn it with but I did notice what appears to be some tearout near the bottom. This is common when you first get started and/or with specific woods are more prone to it. As you learn better tool control your will be able to control this better. If you are using a bowl gouge sharpen before your final cut and if you do not know about shear scraping with a bowl gouge that can also be a good technique. If it is a wood prone to tearout you can stiffen the fibers with thin coat of shellac or brushing lacquer to make the fibers easier to cut.

Again overall good work and welcome to the next symptom of the disease.

Alan

Bill Hensley
01-04-2011, 9:20 AM
Very nice for a first bowl. I had turned several bowls before they got to where you are now.

Baxter Smith
01-04-2011, 9:29 AM
Very pretty bowl out of some pretty wood. Nice job!

John Keeton
01-04-2011, 9:38 AM
Beautiful wood, Warren, and a very good first!! Tough form for an entry piece - I was too chicken to do that and stuck with a shallow dish! Would have hated to have seen my first if I attempted this form.

Ron Stadler
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow, fantastic first bowl:), Mine kinda look like this except there were a lot of nicks in it with a broken piece out the side and the form had kind of a wave to it and foot slanted to one side, You know, I guess mine did'nt look like this at all.:eek:

dan carter
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
You picked a nice piece of wood for your first bowl. Save it. You'll never have another first bowl. Nice job.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Welcome to SMC. Really a nice looking first. Really nice wood.

Prashun Patel
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Nice work. If you can navigate that shape and size without too much difficulty, you should be able to do larger, shallower ones a lot easier. A lot of beginners (myself included) go small and deep which is much more frustrating than going shallower. Keep on keepin on.

Bill Bolen
01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the creek Warren. Very nice bowl. Is it White Oak? Hope to see many more posts from you down the line...Bill..

Jim Burr
01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Good looking bowl Warren! Some tear out on the inside maybe, but that what the 80 grit gouge helps with! Let's see some more!

Warren Gibson
01-04-2011, 2:47 PM
Thanks guys for all the compliments and feedback. As for it being a tough form for a first attempt, I guess that's the beauty of being completely ignorant...I didn't know enough to be worried about it. I just tried to turn something that made the best use of the size blank that I started with. I do think my next attempt will be something a little more shallow but probably a bigger diameter. I'm a little limited by my lathe (Jet 1014VS) but like they say, "You learn to work with the tools you have." Regarding my next project, I do have a question about how to reverse chuck something with a more open rim, but I'll probably start a separate thread for that.

Thanks again. Looking forward to being a more regular contributor here.

David E Keller
01-04-2011, 3:04 PM
Nicely done, Warren, and a sight better than my first half dozen forms.

As for the upcoming project, a simple jam method is probably the simplest way to reverse chuck a piece for cleaning up the bottom... That will leave you a little nubbin that needs to be cleaned up by hand. You can use a vacuum or donut chuck as well, but a jam chuck is the simplest.

Harry Robinette
01-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Very nice first try,hope to see some more in the near furture.