PDA

View Full Version : 10 Inch Bandsaws - Options

Steve Kohn
01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
I have a Delta Shopmaster bandsaw saw for small work. IMHO the Shopmaster is not capable of providing an acceptable cut. The frame is too weak to tension a blade properly, and the motor is too weak to start the saw with tension applied.

So I have looked at the Craftsman 10 inch. I was not impressed by the saw. While I haven't looked at it, I have been told the Rikon 10 inch is the same saw? Is there something else out there I should be looking at? I believe Delta used to offer a 10 inch cast iron bandsaw? Can anyone provide a model number or lead on getting one? I'm willing to do a restoration if necessary.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 11:20 PM
There are several Delta 10" cast saws but the 768 is IMO the best. There are some pictures/links and tangential discussion in this current thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?156261-George-Wilson-and-anyone-else-with-a-Delta-28-350-20-quot-bandsaw

I think the other 10" saws like the 28-110 were Homecraft versions.

Any particular reason you are looking for a 10" saw? Solid 14" saws are a dime a dozen on most Craiglists and generally are going to have more power and heavier. For example I think the 768 usually has a 1/3 HP motor about the same as the modern 10" saws but maybe they were rated more conservatively... Inca would be another option for a great small bandsaw but these Swiss machines tend to be prized and make a 14" Delta or clone look good price wise.

Richard Link
01-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Second the question: why a 10" saw? I have a Rikon 10" and like it very much but wouldn't want it to be my only bandsaw. It's great for tight curves, etc. Basically, I use it as a utility saw for stuff that is between a scroll saw and larger bandsaw. If I had only saw only, though, something bigger would be much better. I don't do a lot of resawing on my 10" rikon....lol.

I wrote up a brief review of the rikon here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?138893-The-bandsaw-family-photo-(or-first-impression-of-Rikon-10-305)&highlight=

R

Mac McQuinn
01-03-2011, 11:40 PM
I believe Jet makes a 10" Bandsaw, Might be worth a look......

Mac

Bill ThompsonNM
01-04-2011, 1:15 AM
If you want a serious 10" bandsaw-- find an Inca. Not cheap but all the quality you would expect of a fine European saw.

Bob Falk
01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
I have a Delta Shopmaster bandsaw saw for small work. IMHO the Shopmaster is not capable of providing an acceptable cut. The frame is too weak to tension a blade properly, and the motor is too weak to start the saw with tension applied.

So I have looked at the Craftsman 10 inch. I was not impressed by the saw. While I haven't looked at it, I have been told the Rikon 10 inch is the same saw? Is there something else out there I should be looking at? I believe Delta used to offer a 10 inch cast iron bandsaw? Can anyone provide a model number or lead on getting one? I'm willing to do a restoration if necessary.

There is an INCA 10" on ebay right now you might look at. I have one I bought used and they are the sweetest saws....accurate, well built, and cut like a dream. Not sure you can still buy parts for them any more, but if you find one in good shape, they are worth it. Made in Austria and sold for about $1100 new. They also made a 20" three wheel that is also a good tool. INCA tools don't often come up for sale. Good Luck!

Kyle Iwamoto
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
I will echo Richards comments. I have the Rikon 10" and it's a really good 10" IMO. But I also have a 14" PM. I use the Rikon for small stuff, given only 1, naturally I'd ditch the Rikon and keep the PM14".

Steve Kohn
01-04-2011, 1:04 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I already have a 19 inch BS that is my primary saw and set up for resawing. The reason for the 10 inch saw is to use for smaller pieces and finer cutting.

I hate changing the blades so I would prefer to have a better small bandsaw. Heck, you never know. I might just keep all 3 saws.

Steven Hsieh
01-04-2011, 6:10 PM
I vote for Rikon 10" also.

Ryan Combs
01-04-2011, 7:48 PM
I have a 10" Craftsman I bought several years ago. It is very similar to the Rikon. I think the Rikon has an aluminum table, and the Craftsman has a cast iron table. Anyway they did when I bought mine. I got it on sale and have always been impressed with it. I use it for my hobby / model building work. I have an 18" Rikon for the "real" shop. I used to have a Jet 12" before the Rikon. It was a really good saw. You may be able to find one used pretty cheap. I don't know if Jet still makes it. I bought it in '98 or '99 and used it a lot until I replaced it with the 18" a few years ago.

Ryan

Adam Slutsky
01-04-2011, 7:54 PM
If you can pick up a used Inca 10" bandsaw, you will love it. I have been using one for several years and am very happy with it.