PDA

View Full Version : Hide Glue for Pen Tube Gluing

Trevor Walsh
01-03-2011, 8:45 PM
Anybody use liquid hide glue for gluing pen tubes? aside from the longer dry time it looks like it could solve some of the problems with CA as far a cleanup goes.

Thanks,

Jim Sebring
01-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm not how strong hide glue is when used on a brass tube. I initially used medium CA when I started making pens but have settled on 5 minute epoxy as the best glue for the purpose. I've also used a polyurethane called "Fusion" from Michael's. It doesn't foam like most of the others of that type like Gorilla Glue.

I've never had a problem with glue inside the tube. I use a tapered tube insertion tool from Penn State and clean the excess glue out of the tube after it's seated in the blank. Q tips and acetone get it all out easily.

John Coloccia
01-04-2011, 6:29 AM
I know fish glue has been used to glue brass. I've no idea if hide glue will work on the brass. The bigger problem I see is that hide glue has practically no strength as a filler. You need more or less a perfect joint. The tubes generally fit the holes loosely. Hey, you can try it and see if it works. If you do, remember that roughing up a surface is detrimental to a hide glue joint, not helpful. Hide glue works by electrochemical attraction, NOT physical interlocking, so don't rough up the brass tube. Use some 600 grit sandpaper (or even better, a scotchbrite pad) to take any oxidation off the brass but try to keep it smooth.

The other reason I wouldn't use hide glue is that people tend to abuse pens. They'll leave them in the trunk of their car for days at a time, in 100+ degree weather and high humidity. That will attack the glue joint and just beg for failure. I'm not sure what the failure mode would be as the wood really has nowhere to go...maybe it's fine.

If you're going to try it, try it with Old Browns at least. Titebond's LHG has been pretty hit or miss for a lot of people. My preference would be for hot hide glue, of course. I just picked up a miniature double boiler glue pot from LMII that's perfect for small jobs like this and instrument work.

Trevor Walsh
01-04-2011, 8:41 AM
Good comments John, I do have some hide glue granules so maybe I'll take a look at that. Anthough the abuse comments have me worried. Hide glue might not fair too well after repeated heat cycles like that. I might stick with the CA/epoxy route. I'm hoping GW will spot this and give his thoughts, I can only imagine the story he has supporting or condemning hide glue for this purpose.

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I use epoxy on all pens blanks. I have never had a problem with any. I have tried several glues and always come back to epoxy.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm with Bernie . . . why mess with perfection?

Michael James
01-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I would use hide glue on a a tenon for a set neck on a guitar..amen. No other use in my little world

Jim Burr
01-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Use CA. If you rough up you pen blanks..100 grit or whatever and coat the tube properly, cleanup is minimal. 800 pens later:eek:, never had a failure...including the 3 sold last weekend!:cool:

Trevor Walsh
01-04-2011, 2:19 PM
Okay, I'm sold on not messing around. Thanks guys.