PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone messed with copper plated circuit boards

Dean Fowell
01-03-2011, 8:00 PM
Hay has anyone messed around with copper plated circuit boards, we are looking and doing them from now on for some customers,

Richard Rumancik
01-03-2011, 8:48 PM
Dean, maybe elaborate on your question - it is hard to tell what you are asking. Of course you probably already know that you can't cut through the copper at all and FR4 will create quite a charred edge when cut, if you can get through at all. So for most of us we don't "mess" with PCB's because there is not much that can be done, other than marking a part number on the surface.

Rodne Gold
01-04-2011, 3:40 AM
You can etch them by using a resist (paint , laser friendly vinyl) and using the laser to ablate the resist and then dipping in ferric chloride.

paul mott
01-04-2011, 5:33 AM
Dean,

I have made PCB's using the method Rodne described but using rattle can car paint. There is a slight paint residue, after lasering but it does not bond to the copper, brushes off easily and does not affect the etch. The down side of producing PCB's this way is that you don't automatically get a drill file so unless you want to drill all the holes manually (or make a CNC drill file) the method is best suited to Surface Mount technology (no holes).

Paul.

Dean Fowell
01-04-2011, 6:23 AM
Thanks Paul and Rodne,

Thats the method I will use as well just wanted to see if anyone else tried, Good result, I will burn one out on thursday maybe tonight if time willing

Richard Rumancik
01-04-2011, 1:22 PM
Dean, so you meant that you wanted to etch PCB's? You say that you have interested customers . . . I have researched this quite a lot and am familiar with most of the homebrew methods for making PCBs. The problem I see is that the only customer of a board without holes would be a hobbyist, and hobbyists generally don't have the budget to buy laser-patterned PCBs. Smaller companies will want 3 or 4 prototype boards complete with plated through holes, cut outline and mounting holes. There's no way we can compete with the companies that will do this for $50-$75 in a couple days. Even the hobbyists are going to these places. Surface mount boards will still need an accurate outline and some holes - and the outlines are not always just a rectangle. So my take is that you CAN make a few boards using this method, but I am not convinced that there is money in it. On the other hand, if you are interested in etching there are probably other applications for etching that could make more money. Perhaps do a search and see what you find.