PDA

View Full Version : First Submittal

Bill Hensley
01-03-2011, 6:59 PM
Greetings all, recently a new member and with only a few post I thought I should bring something to show & tell.

Finished this "rescued" cherry project yesterday and I'm pleased with the outcome. The wood was rescued from a friend's firewood pile.

This is the largest project I've tackled since getting my Monster articulating system 2 weeks ago. It's very unlikely I would have attempted this shape doing it by hand. The diameter is ~7 1/2" x 4". I realize the height and width proportions are not ideal but I just hated to take any more wood off the width than I had to.

All comments and questions are welcomed.

Curt Fuller
01-03-2011, 7:03 PM
That's really nice! I think the proportions are great. It has a nice small base to give it that 'floating' look and the curve is beautiful. But I'm really impressed with the texturing around the opening. That really dresses it up. Again, very nice work and Welcome Aboard!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2011, 7:05 PM
Very nicely done Bill. I really like the collar you put around the opening. It is just the right amount of embellishment!

Michael James
01-03-2011, 7:37 PM
Bill, nice piece - dont care what number it is! How about some details on the texuring / embellishment on the collar?
and keep em coming!
thanks,
mj

Nate Davey
01-03-2011, 7:43 PM
Beautiful job Bill, nothing better than making something beautiful out of free firewood

David DeCristoforo
01-03-2011, 7:47 PM
Very nice "firewood"! I have a fondness for these "low profile" hollow vessels and the collar treatment is beautiful.

James Combs
01-03-2011, 7:48 PM
Let some of purists deal with the proportions. I think it is an outstanding piece of work and personally I think the proportions are just right.
Ditto on the "How about some details on the texturing".

David E Keller
01-03-2011, 8:25 PM
That's great! I love the rim/collar area, but the whole thing is very nice.

John Keeton
01-03-2011, 8:38 PM
Bill, very nice "show and tell!" As others have noted, the dimensions work with the base you have done, and the collar is exceptional! The minute I opened the pics, it reminded me of snakeskin. I had to do a double take to see that it was textured.

Doug W Swanson
01-03-2011, 9:17 PM
Bill,

I think the proportions are just fine. Then again, I don't usually follow the rules and just decide what items are ones I like and which ones aren't. Yours is very well done.

I'm also interested in your texturing technique....

Ron Stadler
01-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Actually of what I see in these two pictures I think the form looks pretty good, and I love the detailed ring around the top, thats really cool. Is that done with a dremel tool?

charlie knighton
01-03-2011, 10:22 PM
very nice, Bill, thanks for sharing

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Really a nice piece. I like the form and the collar embellishment. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Hensley
01-04-2011, 8:10 AM
Thank you all for the very positive comments. Now I'm even more proud of the results.

You know how it is, you bring a finished project in for the wife to see and you wonder if she is just being nice?

I did the texturing with the Sorby texturing tool. I'll start a new discussion about my determination to master that thing.

Thanks again for the feedback and the welcome.

Bill

Dale Bright
01-04-2011, 8:20 AM
Bill, this is a very nice piece. The form, the finish and expecially the textured rim.

Very well done, sir.

Dale

steven carter
01-04-2011, 8:42 AM
The proportions look fine to me, I like the shape and especially the texturing, especially as the textureing pattern does not seem to vary on the curve leading up to the lip. Very impressive!

bob svoboda
01-04-2011, 8:57 AM
Superb turning! All aspects work well together. Very impressive. Welcome and thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2011, 9:01 AM
Bill - Welcome to the Creek! Very nice looking hollow form! Like most of the others - really like the detail work around the opening! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!