PDA

View Full Version : Locust burl

Jim Pavlicin
01-03-2011, 6:46 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has tried to turn locust burl? If so how is it?

Gary Max
01-03-2011, 6:57 PM
What---- No pics---??????????????????
I want to see a Locust Burl and I am sure the rest of the gang would agree.

Ryan Baker
01-03-2011, 6:59 PM
I haven't turned locust burl, but I have turned plenty of locust. It is really hard and dulls tools really fast, but it is pretty. Locust burl probably turns quite nicely.

David E Keller
01-03-2011, 7:56 PM
I've only turned it in pen blank form, but I don't recall anything peculiar about it. I would like to see it when you get around to taking some photos.

David DeCristoforo
01-03-2011, 7:58 PM
"What---- No pics---??????????????????"

Hey... give the guy a break. He never said he had any...;)

Jim Pavlicin
01-03-2011, 8:19 PM
I just picked up a locust log today and it had some burls on it. I'm gonna try and get them cut off tomorrow. I'll try and get pics up asap

Fred Perreault
01-03-2011, 8:38 PM
I have turned a lot of black locust, and some very pretty, feathered crotch pieces. I have never seen a locust burl, but I imagine it might be pretty. Locust, especially seasoned wood, is very, very tough on the tools. I have also been able to retrieve some large locust stumps, and cut off of the stump the "tentacles", or "wings" that grow below grade. It is a lovely grain, with some wild figure. Around here, locust can have a lot of hollow spots. It grows quickly, and dies young.

Dale Miner
01-03-2011, 8:52 PM
I've turned one small hollow form from a Black Locust burl. The burl was green, and turned well. The burl itself had/has real tight eyes and busy figure, with few bark inclusions. There was not much contrast between the eyes and the surrounding wood. The piece has not had the second turning yet, and an oil finish will probably help with the definition between the eyes and the surrounding.

I've another Black Locust burl about the size of a soccer ball that needs attention, and as soon as I find that round tuit......

Later,
Dale M

Jack Mincey
01-04-2011, 9:30 AM
Black locust burl can be very beautiful. Here is a one of two bowls one of my 10th graders turned from a locust burl two years ago. I can't find a picture of the other one he turned from the same burl.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/shelbysbowl008.jpg

Fred Perreault
01-04-2011, 2:22 PM
That is a beauty. I like locust a lot... probably because it is a weed ( a legume, actually) around here.

Don Orr
01-04-2011, 8:55 PM
Search for posts by George Guadiane. He has done some beautiful things with it.

Jim Pavlicin
01-04-2011, 9:14 PM
I was able to cut the burls off of the log today, when I got home I turned up a fast bowl here's a couple pic's. The burl looks pretty sweet.

David Warkentin
01-04-2011, 9:20 PM
Yes that does look nice. David

David E Keller
01-04-2011, 9:23 PM
That's good looking stuff and a nice looking bowl.

Baxter Smith
01-04-2011, 9:26 PM
Very nice. Looking forward to seeing what the finish does to it.

Fred Perreault
01-05-2011, 7:27 AM
Jim, that is a nice looking item, and great looking wood. I hope to find some locust burls. To be honest, I have never bothered to look for burls or galls on locust trees, and we have many black locust groves on the Cape. Is that black locust, or honey locust that you used? I don't want to hijack your thread, but these bowls are what came from the underground portion of some 5 year old discarded black locust stumps. And they still changed shape some after turning.

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2011, 10:20 AM
That is some good looking burl and a really nice bowl.

Harvey M. Taylor
01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
I tried to turn a locust once. He wouldnt be still long enough to put him between centers.Max

Mike Cruz
01-05-2011, 6:30 PM
That looks great. I've never seen locust burl before...

George Guadiane
01-05-2011, 9:02 PM
I absolutely LOVE black locust burl. It can be a bit subtle, but once I start examining the burl eyes, end grain trilobites and CURL, I could look for hours.

I have one or two more pieces that I will turn before long (when I find them), and I'm ALWAYS on the lookout for more.

(Thanks Don O)

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2011, 9:40 PM
Beautiful bowl Jim! Love all that burl!

Don Alexander
01-05-2011, 9:45 PM
spectacular wood and a nice job on the bowl the wood has so much going on that simple is definitely best IMO