PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly G0634XP 12" jointer/planer with end mount fence

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 3:52 PM
Page 50 of the 2011 catalog (available online if you haven't gotten the hard copy yet) shows the new Polar version of their 12" J/P combo and they have solved one of the complaints about the large footprint the "green" version of the machine had. The fence is now end mounted.

Also see it here:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Planer-Jointer-with-Spiral-Polar-Series/G0634XP

Josh Rudolph
01-03-2011, 3:58 PM
Makes sense to me...Only have to worry about the fence being perpendicular to the bed and not parallel to anything. The fence shouldn't see any significant load, so it looks like a pretty good solution.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 4:25 PM
Makes sense to me...Only have to worry about the fence being perpendicular to the bed and not parallel to anything. The fence shouldn't see any significant load, so it looks like a pretty good solution.

Exactly, they adopted the form factor some Euro machines such as the Minimax FS30 use. Probably the biggest complaint with the Grizzly 12" J/P was the large footprint resulting from the clunky fence design. For people who have used large cast iron fences for years the "give" associated with aluminum and end mounted fences can be unnerving but as you mention as long as the fence remains perpendicular to the beds all is good.

Tom Grant
01-03-2011, 4:48 PM
Good catch. Looking at the 2010 catalog, it appears this fence design started a year ago with the 10" G0675 Jointer/Planer. The new $5,000 G0660X 16" Jointer/Planer seems to have this same fence. Has anyone tried the G0675 fence? It does seem to be a great way to allow the machine to be closer to the wall.
I've been thinking about a G0490X, but it's such a huge footprint. I may have to save up for the 12" G0634XP because the reviews of the 10" Jointer/Planers from both Grizzly and Jet have been underwhelming.
Maybe someone needs to build a jointer fence that uses those cool apposing hinge knuckles like the new Bosch miter saw!

greg a bender
01-03-2011, 5:39 PM
IMHO, I still like the JET better.:)

I like Grizz, tools, have their 17" BS. But the JET, just seems 'cleaner'. And so far, it works very, very well.

This is not a bash grizz, just my opinion as a Jet owner. Take it for what it's worth.

GB

Chris Nolin
01-03-2011, 5:52 PM
I like the look of this new J/P! And it's funny they don't mention that it's a spiral insert cutterhead, too. (It's in the specs but not the marketing text on the website). Sweet machine and a good price!

Oops, I see it in the title. Still, they should emphasize it.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 6:12 PM
IMHO, I still like the JET better.:)

I like Grizz, tools, have their 17" BS. But the JET, just seems 'cleaner'. And so far, it works very, very well.

This is not a bash grizz, just my opinion as a Jet owner. Take it for what it's worth.

GB

Quite frankly I would buy the Jet instead as well, even with this change as long as the dollars were very similar, over time it seems they tend to go on sale at different times and if the new Grizzly (after some good reviews) was 200-300 cheaper I would probably go that route if I was buying one.

Andrew Gibson
01-03-2011, 6:53 PM
I am hoping that in the coming month or 2 funds will present themselves to make a J/P purchase possible. I think the Grizley ranks pretty high on my list, especially when it would appear that it can be had with the spiral cutter head for significantly less money then the jet. Maybe I am going crazy but it seems like getting the jet with a Spiral cutterhead makes it close to a grand more then the grizzley.

Salem Ganzhorn
01-03-2011, 9:30 PM
Exactly, they adopted the form factor some Euro machines such as the Minimax FS30 use. Probably the biggest complaint with the Grizzly 12" J/P was the large footprint resulting from the clunky fence design. For people who have used large cast iron fences for years the "give" associated with aluminum and end mounted fences can be unnerving but as you mention as long as the fence remains perpendicular to the beds all is good.

I used to have an older delta 6" jointer with the end mounted fence. Even the deflection on that fence was unnerving and it was cast iron. I really like the fence NOT moving directly at the cutterhead. But then again I like the idea of a smaller footprint. I think you still have to take the fence off the machine to convert it though right?

Stephen Saar
01-03-2011, 10:03 PM
*Sarcasm* I really hate you Van *Sarcasm*

I had finally decided on the Jet JJP-12HH over the Griz, but now this is going to make me go back and try and re-decide what I want. I really like the idea of the space saving fence design.

-Stephen

Matt Meiser
01-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah, my JJP-12HH will be here tomorrow but had I seen this a week ago I might very well have made a different decision.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Maybe I am going crazy but it seems like getting the jet with a Spiral cutterhead makes it close to a grand more then the grizzley.

The current delivered price of the Polar Bear is ~2400 liftgate (based on the non-polar version of shipping) BUT my guess is since they don't have shipping even listed for this J/P it may be some time before it is available (remember the 1023s). The Jets are off sale now but go on and off regularly and can usually be gotten about 2500 street with the helical head, roughly the non-sale price of the non-polar Grizzly. If price is a factor you have to shop the Jets around even at sale time and compare them to the current Grizzly price, they switch back and forth as to who is the cheapest, don't forget the Jets have free liftgate delivery when comparing.

Dave Lehnert
01-03-2011, 10:54 PM
I thought that end mounted design was old school. A jointer was always thought to be better with a center mount.
End mount is like a Harbor Freight jointer.
What am I missing that this end mount is better?

Shiraz Balolia
01-03-2011, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=Van Huskey;1600461]The current delivered price of the Polar Bear is ~2400 liftgate (based on the non-polar version of shipping) BUT my guess is since they don't have shipping even listed for this J/P it may be some time before it is available (remember the 1023s). QUOTE]

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2011/Main/50

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 11:10 PM
I thought that end mounted design was old school. A jointer was always thought to be better with a center mount.
End mount is like a Harbor Freight jointer.
What am I missing that this end mount is better?

I agree it is probably not "better" from an engineering standpoint BUT it is definitely better for the footprint of the machine, the big complaint against the Grizzly vs other J/P combos. Take a look at the Minimax FS30 for example definitely not Harbor Freight quality and keeps the size compact, one of the main objectives of J/Ps. The key is it has to stay perpendicular to the beds, parallel with the bed edge is a non-issue but it makes some people nervous when a jointer fence flexes in any direction.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE=Van Huskey;1600461]The current delivered price of the Polar Bear is ~2400 liftgate (based on the non-polar version of shipping) BUT my guess is since they don't have shipping even listed for this J/P it may be some time before it is available (remember the 1023s). QUOTE]

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2011/Main/50

My bad I forgot to go back to the catalog to check but was correct in extrapolating it from the G0634Z, it is however not listed on your website yet: http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Planer-Jointer-with-Spiral-Polar-Series/G0634XP

BTW do you have a ETA for these some people may well be willing to wait for this J/P if they have some idea how long the wait might be, or my guess could be completely incorrect and they are in stock now.

Shiraz Balolia
01-04-2011, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Shiraz Balolia;1600472]
BTW do you have a ETA for these some people may well be willing to wait for this J/P if they have some idea how long the wait might be, or my guess could be completely incorrect and they are in stock now.

They are due in next month. Computer shows ETA 2/15/11. I know that they were working on them in November as I saw them on the line in Taiwan.

Charlton Wang
01-04-2011, 5:11 PM
[QUOTE=Van Huskey;1600480]

They are due in next month. Computer shows ETA 2/15/11. I know that they were working on them in November as I saw them on the line in Taiwan.

I actually saw this machine posted on the website before Christmas and put in an order in order to get shipping rates. It got pulled shortly thereafter but now it's back. I wanted to know what the space requirements around the machine were before going through with the order but I guess this information isn't available just yet.

Shiraz Balolia
01-04-2011, 5:16 PM
[QUOTE=Shiraz Balolia;1600776]

I actually saw this machine posted on the website before Christmas and put in an order in order to get shipping rates. It got pulled shortly thereafter but now it's back. I wanted to know what the space requirements around the machine were before going through with the order but I guess this information isn't available just yet.

http://cdn5.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0634xp_ds.pdf

This information is on our website, accessed through the page that shows this machine.

Mark Henshaw
01-04-2011, 5:32 PM
I have the center mount design for this machine and am very happy with the performance. If you have the room it truely makes for a very rigid and repeatable fence support. I place my J/P in the center of the shop and purchased the Grizzly specifically to get the center mounted fence. Either way it is a good piece of equipment.
Regardless of the fence support, go with the helical cutter head. I am very impressed with its performance.

Van Huskey
01-04-2011, 5:41 PM
[QUOTE=Charlton Wang;1600988]

http://cdn5.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0634xp_ds.pdf

This information is on our website, accessed through the page that shows this machine.

Interesting the overall dimensions shown for the G0634XP in the link you posted are the same as the G0634Z as well as the footprint. Are the dimensions of the G0634XP actually the same at 41 1/4" x 59 5/8" x 45"? They also show the same weight net and shipping as well.

Charlton Wang
01-05-2011, 5:00 AM
Agree. I saw the data sheet but I would expect the G0634Z to have a larger footprint because of the fence. I'm basically looking for the same information that is in the manual for the G0634Z about space requirements. It's entirely possible that with the tables lifted up for planer mode it eats up all that saved space but I would like to confirm this.

Shiraz Balolia
01-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Agree. I saw the data sheet but I would expect the G0634Z to have a larger footprint because of the fence. I'm basically looking for the same information that is in the manual for the G0634Z about space requirements. It's entirely possible that with the tables lifted up for planer mode it eats up all that saved space but I would like to confirm this.

The specs are being updated today on the website (actually they are done and waiting on the IT guys), but here are the changes:

Length/depth front to back/height are 67 1/2" x 24" x 41 1/2".

Weight 752 gross, 652 net.

Fence length 51 1/2" long, 6" tall.

Charlton Wang
01-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks Shiraz. I'm assuming the specs for the datasheet of the G0634Z have the length and width swapped around so:

G0634Z (LxWxH): 59-5/8 x 41-1/4 x 45
G0634XP (LxWxH): 67-1/2 x 24 x 41-1/2

? So the new jointer is a bit longer but shorter and saves considerably width-wise.

Brian Kincaid
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
If they mounted the fence to the infeed and outfeed you would have the best of both worlds. Super-ridgid fence and no foot-print issue. Of course raising and lowering infeed might require you loosen the fence lock on the infeed.
-Brian

Van Huskey
01-05-2011, 3:40 PM
The specs are being updated today on the website (actually they are done and waiting on the IT guys), but here are the changes:

Length/depth front to back/height are 67 1/2" x 24" x 41 1/2".

Weight 752 gross, 652 net.

Fence length 51 1/2" long, 6" tall.

This bear really went on a diet! Didn't lose too many pounds but a lot of inches where it counts. Leaning out for a fight with a Jet it seems. The Jet was 9.25" more narrow front to back than the Grizzly Bear now the Polar Bear is 8" more svelte than the Jet. The Polar is longer by a decent amount but fewer people probably have an issue with that. I hope they have one in Muncy when I get by in late February, I will be very interested to compare it and be hands on with the new fence.

Shiraz Balolia
01-05-2011, 4:36 PM
Just for clarity:

G0634X

Height of machine: 45" (includes the knobs that stick out)

Depth of machine (front to back): 41 1/4"

Width/length of machine (side to side when standing in front center): 59 5/8"

G0634XP

Height of machine: 41 1/2"

Depth of machine (front to back): 24"

Width/length of machine (side to side when standing in front center): 67 1/2"

Floor to table height is the same for both models, 35 1/2"

Aaron Berk
01-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Couldn't you get the best of both worlds and put a C clamp and stop block on the jointer bed up at the end of the fence? That would eliminate your fence deflection and still keep your foot print.

Unless there is no room for the clamp.

Van Huskey
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Couldn't you get the best of both worlds and put a C clamp and stop block on the jointer bed up at the end of the fence? That would eliminate your fence deflection and still keep your foot print.

Unless there is no room for the clamp.

If you look at the pictures from the top it certainly looks possible.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Planer-Jointer-with-Spiral-Polar-Series/G0634XP

Rod Sheridan
01-06-2011, 9:06 AM
I'm not sure why people are worrying about fence deflection, it doesn't affect edge jointing at all, unless the angle of the fence to the table is changing.

I have a Hammer A3-31 and if you're ham fisted the fence deflects very slightly, which doesn't affect the cut.

If you're not ham fisted the fence doesn't deflect which also doesn't affect the cut..........Regards, Rod.

Charlton Wang
01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
What are you trying to say Rod? That it doesn't affect the cut? :)

I agree. The only way it would affect the cut would be if there was torsional rotation which brings the edge out of square but that seems unlikely to happen.

Curt Harms
01-06-2011, 1:47 PM
I don't get the obsession with a 75 lb.+ jointer fence either. I have the Jet JJP-12 and I'd have to seriously TRY to damage it. If employees were using machinery and their goal was to break something so they can get the rest of the day off I can see it but for most people here that take reasonable care I don't see the concern. A jointer fence doesn't have to be massive to maintain its setting IMO, just well designed.

Van Huskey
01-06-2011, 4:07 PM
The fence issue for me comes from the fact ANYTHING flexing when my hands are near a cutting head/blade/bit is disconcerting for me. That said it is a mental thing not a physical one that would translate to poor results. I do think that most everyone would choose a fence for a jointer that felt like pushing against bedrock if it were an option that added no cost or negatively impacted the form factor of the machine. The simple fact is a jointer/planer combo does have to make concessions but then again every machine does. I do however understand that some people may prefer the center mounted fence for its inherent stability vs the end mounted fence and its "depth savings". Now with the Grizzly you have the option, I can't think of another make that has a similar option.

Peter Aeschliman
01-06-2011, 4:38 PM
If they just had a locking knob in the center of the fence, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

I have played around with the grizzly 10" combo machine a few times in the Bellingham, WA showroom... The fence (which is also end-mounted) deflects on all axes, and at least the one they had on the floor didn't lock all that well (the fence wouldn't stay clamped in place).

Then again, the 10" combo and the 12" combo are in dramatically different ballparks in terms of both quality and price, so it's not fair to assume the 12" machine will suffer the same ailments.

Salem Ganzhorn
01-06-2011, 5:11 PM
When edge jointing a board you apply pressure against the fence. If pushing on the fence only results in lateral movement all is fine (except for the uncomfortable part of something moving right at the cutterthead). But what if the fence twists? Then your joint is no longer square. Can you tell if the deflection you are seeing/feeling is only horizontal or is there some component of twist too? I couldn't tell. My old delta 6" had a cast iron end mounted fence and I could still twist it without too much effort. Maybe it is a technique error on my part but for large/heavy 8/4 stock my fence would deflect with the amount of pressure I put against the fence. My 8" jointer has the fence mounted in the center and it does not move/deflect/twist so I know the cut is square.

That being said I would love to sell my 8" jointer and 15" planer and pick up a good combo machine to save space (and get a helical cutter). And even with the end mounted fence the Griz is in serious contention for me for it's reduction in footprint depth. I definitely think a center mounted fence is superior but it may be worth the trade off.

Salem

Charlton Wang
03-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Shiraz,

I understand that the G0634z now comes with the same end-mounted fence, correct? Other than price and colour differences, are there any other differences between the G0634z and the G0634xp? Both are apparently unavailable at this moment.

Thanks,
Charlton

jonathan eagle
03-22-2011, 8:59 PM
I'd like to know as well.

Hi Shiraz,

I understand that the G0634z now comes with the same end-mounted fence, correct? Other than price and colour differences, are there any other differences between the G0634z and the G0634xp? Both are apparently unavailable at this moment.

Thanks,
Charlton

Eddie Darby
03-23-2011, 6:33 PM
The key is it has to stay perpendicular to the beds, parallel with the bed edge is a non-issue but it makes some people nervous when a jointer fence flexes in any direction.
I am thinking that this is due to peoples experiences with table saw fences requiring the absolute necessity of being rock solid.
Funny thing is table saw fences for the most part are just connected on one end too.