PDA

View Full Version : George Wilson and anyone else with a Delta 28-350 20" bandsaw

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 2:44 PM
I am considering one of these for a dedicated contour cutting bandsaw. My issue is I actually use a 1/8" blade on a regular basis and I am trying to figure out if the wheels will track a 1/8" blade well. I am not concerned about the guides since I plan to change those either to lignum vitae or more likely the Carter system since I can use their stabilzer easily. I know the saw was never designed for such small blades just curious if anyone has tried them and what the results were. The Carter system uses the Guidall 500 series guides which are only rated to 3/16" but the stabilizer would cover the 1/8" blade. If it makes any difference the saw I am looking at is an early one where the lower guides attach to a bar that mounts to the trunnion bracket. TIA

George, I make the assumption yours is a 28-350 from your posts but it may be the metal cutting version (28-355?) but would assume the answer to this question would be the same for both saws.

Ben Martin
01-03-2011, 6:26 PM
Van,

No experience with a Delta 20" although I would love to have one, and complete my set.

What you really need is a 768...

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Delta%20768%20Band%20Saw/702570717_photobucket_11689_.jpg

Just sayin', :D

Ben

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 7:39 PM
OK, I see where this is going. I just thought about it and I use 5 different blades on what you could call a regular basis, so I should just get 5 bandsaws each sized and powered for a perfect match to the job. As ludicrous as that sounds the wheels are actually turning... ouch.

Ben Martin
01-03-2011, 8:48 PM
OK, I see where this is going. I just thought about it and I use 5 different blades on what you could call a regular basis, so I should just get 5 bandsaws each sized and powered for a perfect match to the job. As ludicrous as that sounds the wheels are actually turning... ouch.

The family does play well together!

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Delta%20768%20Band%20Saw/702570717_photobucket_8389_.jpg

See, I am just missing the 20" in my line up. (although I do have another 14" in the shop that needs to be adopted...) :D

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp325/martbj/Delta%20768%20Band%20Saw/702570717_photobucket_20352_.jpg

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 9:07 PM
Ben, have you seen this 768 where the guy puts it on the larger "art deco" base from I suppose a 14" saw? http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=10694

I would love to find a nice 768 and I wouldn't mind having a early 14" saw either so if you ever really decide to go through with the adoption process lemme know. I would give it a good home and keep it on the other side of the shop so my MM20 (she is kinda aggressive) wouldn't try anything, but if I get the 28-350 I suppose his big brother could take care of him!

Andrew Joiner
01-03-2011, 9:29 PM
I think the 768 is a classic. It would be nice to have 20" throat depth for contours just in case. I might get the 17" Grizzly G0513 for curves and leave my 21" bandsaw set up for resawing.

george wilson
01-03-2011, 9:36 PM
MY REPLIES ARE VANISHING!!! 2nd. time. I replied that my old 20" Delta is the wood model. We had the same one at work,and often used a 3/16" .025" blade on it to slit saw handles for back saws.

I don't see why you couldn't use a 1/8" blade,but you don't want the blade to be covered by the guide blocks. If I had to,I'd just make a pair of guide blocks,and grind away enough of the front edges to allow the teeth to clear them. Be careful about blade tension,too.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I think the 768 is a classic. It would be nice to have 20" throat depth for contours just in case. I might get the 17" Grizzly G0513 for curves and leave my 21" bandsaw set up for resawing.

Since this is an "arn" thread I must ask why a G0513 when you can get something like this (I went through the process). Even adding Carter guides/stabilizer, paint and a handful of Lenox blades I will still have less in it than even a sale priced 513P delivered. The 28-350s aren't rare and they are a 600 pound beast.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 11:04 PM
MY REPLIES ARE VANISHING!!! 2nd. time. I replied that my old 20" Delta is the wood model. We had the same one at work,and often used a 3/16" .025" blade on it to slit saw handles for back saws.

I don't see why you couldn't use a 1/8" blade,but you don't want the blade to be covered by the guide blocks. If I had to,I'd just make a pair of guide blocks,and grind away enough of the front edges to allow the teeth to clear them. Be careful about blade tension,too.

Thanks George. I am not so worried about the guides (I know a number of ways to get around that) just whether the tires will allow a 1/8" to track well. My guess is if a 3/16" tracks well I have a good shot, if I get the saw and it doesn't work it will be a good excuse to have a third saw... Although I said I would love a 768 and I would it would not fair well for the cut I use the 1/8" blade for, I cut cones with it and really need a horse or a horse and a half to do it well since it is about equal to a 6-7" resaw.

Andrew Joiner
01-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Since this is an "arn" thread I must ask why a G0513 when you can get something like this (I went through the process). Even adding Carter guides/stabilizer, paint and a handful of Lenox blades I will still have less in it than even a sale priced 513P delivered. The 28-350s aren't rare and they are a 600 pound beast.

I agree Van the 20" Delta is a great choice and I did hijack the topic. What I meant to point out was the advantage of more throat and larger table for curve cuts. I don't have a truck and I live 2 hours from a city big enough for good Craigslist options. For me on new saws delivered the G0513 makes sense over the typical 14" new saws for curve cutting. The euro side guides could be replaced with lignum vitae dowels for small blades.

Van Huskey
01-04-2011, 4:04 PM
Andrew, I didn't think your were jacking my thread, I am more then capable of doing that myself! What I meant to point out was don't give up on used, my CL is horrible for decent machines as well, if I end up with this one (looking at it in a week or so) it will be coming from 350 miles away and I won't be moving it. There are times even renting a Uhaul makes sense. If you have time keep your ear to the ground all the forum sales areas, OWWM (now Vintagemachinery) CL and the auction sites you never know what will pop up.

Larry Edgerton
01-04-2011, 5:40 PM
I have a 20"delta, and I kept my Delta 14" around for small blades and metal [stepdown gear model] I just am not all that fond of changing blades. So ya, two bandsaws is just right.....