PDA

View Full Version : Riding the Bevel - The Epiphany

Tim Thiebaut
01-03-2011, 1:57 PM
As a locksmith for 30+ years I am well familiar with the fact that it takes time to get used to, and understand, new tools and the way they are used...properly. After approximatly a month of turning I finaly had a breakthru yesterday in Riding the bevel. For the life of me I have not been able to use my bowl gouge period, I would get catch after catch to the point of almost ripping the work piece out of the chuck, this is why I have been leary of useing any of my exotic woods that I have bought and stock piled waiting for the right time, project. Yesterday it finaly clicked...and I have to tell ya I love useing my bowl gouge now! Up to this point I think I have used my 5/8 skew for probably 80% of all of my work, it just seems to work well for me, but now, well it wont be replaced altogether but doors have been opened now that I have the feel of how to use this great tool. Thanks for listening just felt like rambling a little this morning....Tim

Roger Chandler
01-03-2011, 2:00 PM
Yup! When it happens, it is like finding the sweet spot.........the light goes on!

David DeCristoforo
01-03-2011, 2:22 PM
That's diametrically opposite to the experience of most who take up turning. Typically the bowl gouge is "mastered" long before the skew. Many turners have a fear of the skew that rivals any phobia you might come up with.

Peter Fabricius
01-03-2011, 2:40 PM
Tim;
Congratulations, it will make your turning immensely more satisfying.....
I have to admit that although I have been turning (intermittently) for 40 years I only became addicted in the last 5 years. It took a long time for the light to go on with the bowl gouge but now it is like second nature.... ABC is something I actually think about when approaching a cut that might catch.
Anchor - the tool on the tool rest
Bevel - find and ride the bevel
Cut - rotate the handle or lift slightly until the cutting edge starts, then follow the cut you want. Beautiful feeling.

P.S. It is also much safer than just going in and hoping for the best with each cut.
Well done. Enjoy your cuts.
Peter F.

Jim Burr
01-03-2011, 3:25 PM
Gratz Tim!! Your going to really enjoy turning now!!

bob svoboda
01-03-2011, 3:28 PM
Way to go Tim! Don't it feel good.