PDA

View Full Version : If it seems to good to be true, it probably is - but every cloud has a silver lining

Mark Ashmeade
01-03-2011, 1:55 PM
Explanation of the cliches:

I went to go and see a Delta 33-411 RAS today, that's been on Craigslist for a long while. It was on at $700, including a 3-phase converter and a 12inch Dado set. Seemed a good deal, since they're over $6000 new. I needed to replace my RIDGID RAS, which is just not accurate enough. I thought the 750lb cast iron behemoth would overcome the inaccuracy of the existing saw. Well, unfortunately not. The saw was the black-and-grey color scheme, which probably dates it to the 80s or 90s. Sadly though, the blade wobbled from left to right as I pulled the action. Which took both hands, it was that unwieldy. Having looked at the cost of the track rods and bearings ($128 x 4 for the rods, $125 x 4 for the bearings), even if I could find them at a discount, I'd still be over $500 in replacement parts. So I decided this was a bridge too far, and politely declined. In fairness, the guy was asking a fair price, that saw would be ideal for some applications, but not as a general purpose cut off and miter machine in my shop.

So I decided the monster 16" RAS was not an option at all, and went to have another look at the Bosch GCM12SD glider at Peachtree Woodworking, which was not far out of the way home. As I walked in the store, I didn't see the floor model I'd seen with green eyes the week before Christmas, so I asked, and was told the story. It turns out they were having the roof redone, and a mishap occurred, and some water fell on the box for the floor model, which was the only one they had. The tool itself was perfect, and just out the back. The box was not bad either. They couldn't sell the saw as perfect because of the box, but the tool itself was perfect. I always kicked myself for not buying a RIDGID 12" dual bevel three years ago that was on a returns shelf at HD, half off and not a scratch on it. I wasn't going to make the same mistake again! I got a good discount for the "imperfect", but still got a fully warranted product.

So now there's a Bosch GCM12SD sitting in my garage waiting to go to the shop, and I am a very happy bunny, as is my wallet, and therefore my wife :)

Pics maybe later if I get it set up tonight.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 2:03 PM
I find that when I pass on a used machine something newer, better or cheaper shows up soon after...usually. We need pics and even more a full review of this neat new saw!

Chip Lindley
01-03-2011, 5:42 PM
Those track rods can be rotated 180 degrees to reveal a new, smooth surface. That's the beauty of these RASs. Unless rods are rusted and pitted all around, no need to replace them. That would cut your rebuild cost wayy down. Precision-ground drill rod of the same diameter can be had from machinist supply dealers for cheap!

Bearings may well need replacing, but you can do better than Delta's replacement cost. (cringe! eyeroll!) Bearing part # 420-10-151-4919 -- $53.19 each at MikesTools.com. Considering the non-functionality of the RAS's carriage at this point, perhaps the seller would knock off $200! Sounds about right to me!

Neil Brooks
01-03-2011, 5:52 PM
I'm sorry you wound up with such a nice miter saw. That's gotta' hurt ;)

Pics and review ... please :)

Bruce Page
01-03-2011, 6:08 PM
Congrats, but can it run a 12" dado? :D

Mark Ashmeade
01-03-2011, 7:02 PM
Congrats, but can it run a 12" dado? :D

No, but as I don't have a 12" dado set, I'll not worry too much about that :)

On the positive side, neither will it be like planting flowers with a backhoe :D

Keith Avery
01-03-2011, 7:31 PM
That color scheme 33-411 is probably early to mid 90s. I have one. Mine had considerable play in the head left to right when I got it. I really doubt the bearing need replacing on a saw that old. I just cleaned mine and they are smooth as silk. The bearing are eccentric and likely just need an adjustment to tighten the head up. It is pretty easy to adjust all head movement out once you understand how. After adjusting mine the head has no lateral movement. It is a little more complicated than some tablesaws but once tuned properly you would have a great saw.

Aaron Berk
01-03-2011, 9:40 PM
Sweet, so the silver lining means there is another RAS out there for ME! :cool: :D

Good score on the Mitersaw, I'd like to give it a chance in my shop one day. I'm very intrigued by the axial glide.

Ted Wong
01-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Explanation of the cliches:

and went to have another look at the Bosch GCM12SD glider at Peachtree Woodworking, which was not far out of the way home. As I walked in the store, I didn't see the floor model I'd seen with green eyes the week before Christmas, so I asked, and was told the story. It turns out they were having the roof redone, and a mishap occurred, and some water fell on the box for the floor model, which was the only one they had. The tool itself was perfect, and just out the back. The box was not bad either. They couldn't sell the saw as perfect because of the box, but the tool itself was perfect.

Timely thread. Just before Christmas our GCM12SD arrived. The box was near toast and UPS must have done a number on it. Huge hole on the front of the box and sides. So I quickly unpack the machine and at first inspection I see no damage. I set up the saw on a bench and try a few cuts to test out. All seems fine and I set it aside because I have other business to attend to before the holiday. Fast forward to today. I get into the shop and begin construction of a miter saw station for aforementioned tool and while taking measurements I notice one side wing is about an 1/16" higher than the otherside and a straightedge reveals the turntable is lower on one side than the other. What the heck I wonder? Must be a defective tool and I am sort of bummed because I really wanted to get this thing installed before the students arrive back from break (which doesn't look like it'll happen now). Long story short I soon discover the whole tool is racked and upon closer inspection I discover one of the cast supports has a stress fracture. Tool was definitely dropped and handled roughly. Too late for Amazon to file a claim with UPS but they were good sports and will be sending us a new saw.