PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Full Length Mirror on Interior Masonite Door

Lance Norris
01-03-2011, 11:15 AM
We have new hollow core Masonite doors in the remodel of the upstairs of our home. My wife wants a full length mirror on one of the closet doors. Can I screw into this style door and expect it to hold up and last over time? thx.

Bill Edwards(2)
01-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I'd use some kind of "spread" or "toggle" fastener.

And if the door is being closed a lot, I'd put the mirror on the wall behind the door.:D

Mark Bolton
01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
We have new hollow core Masonite doors in the remodel of the upstairs of our home. My wife wants a full length mirror on one of the closet doors. Can I screw into this style door and expect it to hold up and last over time? thx.

Agree with Bill here, I would use a hollow wall anchor that opens up behind the skin of the door. You would likely need one with a range of 1/8-1/4" (this is for the material thickness which with that door would likely be 1/4"). At least with these anchors you would not be relying on a screw to hold up over time. It would be more like having a nut and a bolt.

Mark

Don Alexander
01-03-2011, 6:21 PM
another thing to consider is the weight of the mirror as it affects the hinges (the screws holding the hinge to the door specifically) on the door , not saying they won't hold it but you might want to keep an eye on them ............ some of those doors don't have very much solid wood on the hinge edge for fastening too DAMHIKT :eek: