PDA

View Full Version : Avast, ye hearties, sailing chips, ahoy

Sean Hughto
01-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I have my lathe in a corner of my shop, and the chips (not to mention water spray when turning green) fly surprisingly far. In an effort to contain them a bit, I rigged this kludgy thing up from some scraps. It allows me to quickly put up a shower curtain, but also to get the bar out of the way when not in use. I'll probably put up another coming off the adjacent wall perpendicular to this one, to essentially make a semi-confined turning area. While it's not likely to be of much use as an idea to anyone else, as I'm guessing my space issues are fairly unique, I thought it was sort of an amusing contraption that makes me feel right nautical. (and yes, my shop is a complete wreck right now. I keep going down there intent on cleaning, and after 5 minutes or so of minor progress, some chunk of wood calls me over to the lathe, and the next thing you know, it's messier, not cleaner!)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5009/5318517938_7577427452_z.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Sean that is a pretty neat idea. I have been toying with doing something like that to contain them to a area. But like you everytime I go out I end up on the lathe turning something and so far hasn't gotten done.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I made myself a promise that I would clean my shop once a week. Another broken promise!!!
Nice contraption for the screen.
faust

Richard Madden
01-03-2011, 11:05 AM
That's a good idea, Sean. My Wife suggested I make a New Years resolution to keep my shop cleaner. I've never been one to make New Year resolutions and don't think I'll start now.

John Keeton
01-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Sean, it certainly has a nautical feel to it!! Pretty neat idea. Since I don't turn much in the way of green wood - yet - I haven't had the need for a curtain.

After I installed my dust collection system a couple of years ago, I made a commitment to keep the shop clean. With few exceptions, I do a pretty good job of that. If I don't finish a piece in one session, sometimes I will leave the mess, but most days I clean up before calling it quits for the evening.

Thom Sturgill
01-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I generally before starting a new project, but have envisioned something similar for my planned retirement shop - if only to keep the curlies restrained to a manageable area.

Jim Underwood
01-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I really like this idea.... Maybe I can rig a couple of these and keep my sawdust contained...

David DeCristoforo
01-03-2011, 1:12 PM
That's a really great idea Sean. Now you can take a shower and turn at the same time. I'm one who always approves of increasing efficiency. And as to the condition of your shop, I thought that's how it's supposed to look. I would like to offer one suggestion. You might want to add a wall mounted soap dish. Otherwise your soap might slip off onto the floor and get a bunch of wood chips stuck in it.

Michael Mills
01-03-2011, 3:54 PM
Good idea Sean.
I’m have been planning something a little different so maybe you post will inspire me to get it done.
Two lengths of 12’ conduit bent at an angle at 8’. The long arms will be attached to the wall and the short arms joined and suspended from the ceiling giving an 8’X8’ area. The curtain(s) will wrap around from each side but store in a small space against the wall when not needed. Like one of the things for old bathtubs or the curtains around a hospital bed.

Rick Markham
01-03-2011, 4:22 PM
I like it Sean! You could add a block and tackle to it and use it to hoist large chunks of wood onto the lathe too. It looks like a great idea! I wonder if I can build one, and hide behind it from my "old lady" :D

Thomas Canfield
01-03-2011, 10:41 PM
I use 3 shower curtins around my lathe. The one behind and at the tail end are on rods, and the one behind me is clamped to the end curtin and to a rack. Makes for a fairly tight turning "room" but does drop the majority of chips and shavings inside the curtins. I do need to find some inexpensive 8' H curtins since I still have some fly over the 6' curtin height.

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Pretty cool idea! Should make the rest of the shop easier to clean cause you won't have curlies everywhere!

BILL DONAHUE
01-04-2011, 8:50 PM
Glad to see this post because I've been thinking about doing something similar. It seems that there was an article about this a few years ago in the AAW journal and last week I spent many hours trying to find it to no avail. If anyone knows how to search for it or in what issue it was in, please PM me. Thanks.

Ryan Baker
01-04-2011, 10:30 PM
I've had shower curtains on both sides of my lathe for a long time too. The first time you turn a chunk of really wet wood, you quickly come to the same conclusion. And it really helps keep the mess contained instead of picking curlies out of evey nook and cranny of the shop. A little metal conduit, some hooks, and a couple shower curtain liners and you are all set.

Chris Stolicky
01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
I have a shower curtain set up and all I use is 1" PVC pipe to hold it up. It does contain 95+ % of the shavings. I do, however, still manage to send a few shavings to the far corners of the shop on occasion!