PDA

View Full Version : Cleanning/taking apart Talon Oneway chuck

Donny Lawson
01-03-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm in the process of looking through my mess left from the fire and found my Talon Oneway chuck. The bowl is still attached to it but the chuck is black and looks kindly rough. Since I cannot afford to spend another 200.00 for a new one I will need to clean this one up. I don't think it got that hot but will need to be taken apart. I worked with it last night and freed it up so the jaws would work right I also got an allen wrench and took the jaws off. Now how would I get the threaded adapter out of the end so it can be cleanned? I can say this is going to take some time since it's small. I've got lots of small items that will need attention. I will be going to Woodcraft today to pick up some bandsaw blades,sanding disc for my lathe,and other small items.
Donny

Grant Wilkinson
01-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Donny: The threaded adaptor has 3 through holes in it. You take the screws out of the holes that are holding the adaptor in and use them in the other holes. The screws bottom against the chuck and will push the adaptor out of the chuck. Tighten them slowly and go around tightening them evenly.

charlie knighton
01-03-2011, 1:39 PM
follow Grant's advise, if you buy a new lathe at some point and it has different spindle size just change the adapter, i use 3 in 1 oil to lubericate the chuck, keep it oiled and your turnings will not pot out

Donny Lawson
01-03-2011, 2:34 PM
I was thinking that the adapter screwed into the chuck. I took out the 3 screws last night from the adapter but that's as far as I went. I will try that this evening. It will need some major cleaning.
Donny

Donny Lawson
01-03-2011, 5:47 PM
Grant was right. Those screws did the trick. I'm glad I took it apart. It was nasty behind there. Alot of cleaning and it will be as good as new.(I hope).
Donny

Fred Belknap
01-03-2011, 8:32 PM
Donny if you take the part that slides in and out they must go back the same way they came out. I have taken mine apart a couple times. The adapter fits like a morris taper, after you get the screws out it should pop out, might take a couple serious taps.

Ken Whitney
01-04-2011, 6:54 AM
Fred is right about the slides. They are numbered and need to be replaced accordingly.

And when you are putting the jaws back on don't forget about the travel-limiting pin and slot.

Donny Lawson
01-04-2011, 8:29 AM
I noticed when I took the jaws off there was only one jaw that had a pin in it. The other three did not have one. How do the slides come out? When I turn the slides all the way out they will only open up so far. What's the trick for that?
Donny

Ken Whitney
01-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Donny,

With all the jaws off the slides should, well, slide out. They might be plugged up with rust/residue. WD-40 usually helps.

Ken

Harry Robinette
01-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Hi All
I started using PG2000 on my chucks, wood or for the metal lathe both seem to be working really nice .It doesn't collect dust or dirt.I get it at Woodcraft.
Harry