PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking shop auction in Brooklyn, NY

dennis thompson
01-03-2011, 6:42 AM
Has anyone ever been to an auction? There is one close by on Jan 6 & I was thinking of going. A lot of big stuff but also Delta 14" & Powermatic 20" bandsaws , a 10" Unisaw. It's advertised as a "late model, like new furniture mfr, woodworking plant". What do you think?
Thanks
Dennis
PS for anyone who needs it they also have an Adwood Bulldog 44" widebelt sander, little too big for me!

William Nimmo
01-03-2011, 7:07 AM
I have been to many Auctions. There are many variables. Attendance is the biggest. Some stuff sells for next to nothing and other stuff is bid up to higher than retail. It all depends who shows up. Big stuff usually sells cheap. I have seen 20,000 dollar machines sell for $1500. There is usually an equipment mover there handing out his card and offering delivery. There will be ebay sellers there that know nothing of the tools looking for bargains and there will be people in the industry. Some auctioneers can be sneaky. Pay close attention . If you can, go with cash, register and observe. Plan on being there all day and perhaps the next day if you buy anything. Good luck

Chip Lindley
01-03-2011, 8:12 AM
Liquidation auctions were my only venue for obtaining good used commercial tools back in B.C.! (B efore C omputer) I bought my first piece, a Crescent 8" jointer for $90 at an Amish farm auction in the late '80s. (Reaganomics had taken it's toll by then!)

Attend your Brooklyn auction and see how things are done. You will first register as a buyer with a photo I.D. Get there early and you will have time to check out items you are most interested in. Often the auction service has a list of lots printed for your convenience, with the order in which they will be sold. Handy!

When the lots begin to sell, things go pretty fast. Usually auctioneers start with the small stuff and work up to the high-dollar items. You will eventually learn the rhythm of the auctioneer's chant, and learn not to raise your own bid! DAMHIKT! Decide what your absolute high limit will be on any item beforehand. Don't let the pressure get to you to spend more than it's worth! Good Luck!

Ron Natalie
01-03-2011, 9:18 AM
I bought a lot of stuff at auction. The bigger and harder it is to move, the better the deal. I've seen huge planers go for under $200. On the other hand, the auction crowd goes gaga over clamps. I've never understood why people would bid over RETAIL NEW for plane old bar clamps, etc... What was amusing was after some guy bid $30 a piece for a bunch of clamps on a clamp cart, he didn't even want the cart. He just gave it to me after the auction (and even left a couple of bent up pipe clamps because someone put the ends on thin electrical conduit rather than black pipe and they were bent. A few sections of proper pipe and I had a nice cart and three clamps.

Inspect things CAREFULLY. I bought a delta bandsaw once without looking at it closely only to find it was missing the upper wheel. No big thing, but not the bargain I thought it was going to be. My big kills have been WOOD. I picked up some unbelievable length (12' or more of 12" wide 8/4 cypress, etc..).

William Nimmo
01-07-2011, 7:17 AM
so did anyone go to this Auction? I was going to try an get there but was too busy.

William Nimmo
01-07-2011, 3:21 PM
Looks like some merchandise from this aution might have made it on Craigslist on the same day
There was one of these listed in the items in the Auction
Coincidence?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/tls/2147555385.html

John Shuk
01-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Yorktown heights is where I work. Hmmm No use for such a machine.