PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a whole router table top package?

Jaze Derr
01-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Hello, Creekers!

I would like to hear some recommendations for a "total router top package". I'd like to have a decent top, with t-track miter slot in front, a nice adjustable fence, an insert, and last but certainly not least, a lift.

I'm planning on making the base cabinet myself, but I just don't trust my skills to make an accurate, well-made router top.

I'd love to find an "all in one" package if it's available.

What say you?

Barry Lyndon
01-03-2011, 12:24 AM
One word - Incra. I have a 25" setup and couldn't imagine wanting for anything more. I ordered the frame, table top, and LS Positioner from them and then built drawers and a router enclosure using plywood. One really cool thing about the Incra table frame is that there are channels for 1/2" panels so getting a good table is easy.

http://incra.com/product_rtf_combo.htm

Bill Huber
01-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Have you looked at the deals that Jessem has going right now.

Complete for $750

http://www.jessemdirect.com/Mast_R_Lift_II_Complete_Router_Table_Package_p/mast-r-lift%20ii%20kit-3.htm

Jaze Derr
01-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Bill, I did see that, and I like it. It does come with the stand, but I guess I DO need something to hold the table up until I can build a cabinet, right? :)

Bill Huber
01-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Bill, I did see that, and I like it. It does come with the stand, but I guess I DO need something to hold the table up until I can build a cabinet, right? :)

Yes and I am sure that you could use the table for some other tool if needed be later.

I have that lift and did a write up on it, it is a great lift.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149596-Jessem-Master-R-lift-II-%28long%29&highlight=master+r

The feather boards are the best I have ever used.

The table is flat and the fence is wonderful to use, it attaches to the table on the ends with rails and not slots in the table.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 12:50 AM
+1 on Incra, by far my favorite fences.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-03-2011, 2:37 AM
Another vote for the INCRA. Repeatablility........

John Fabre
01-03-2011, 3:17 AM
You can't go wrong with the BenchDog ProMaxRT cast iron top with the Bench Dog prolift. Mine is flat and heavy at 150lbs with top, prolift, fence and PC 7518, you will need to build a hefty stand. I did build a router top with a Dewalt router and a Jessem fence on a portable base.

Victor Robinson
01-03-2011, 3:21 AM
If you're willing to plunk down the cash, a repeatable fence system can't be beat. Go for the Incra.

Don Bullock
01-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Right now Rockler has their Rockler HPL Router Table with FX Plus Lift and Leg Set on sale for $299.99 (regular price is $479.96). I bought one this year on a different sale and some coupons that I had. It may not be the "best" set up, but it works for me. BTW -- I did add an Incra Light fence system to mine, but I had to extend the table top about nine inches in the rear to accomplish that. I agree with Victor that an Incra fence can't be beat, but if you want to use one you need to check table size requirements (check their tool manuals online) or be ready to extend the rear of the table to accommodate the Incra positioner at the back of the table.

Rod Sheridan
01-03-2011, 5:44 PM
Hello, Creekers!

I would like to hear some recommendations for a "total router top package". I'd like to have a decent top, with t-track miter slot in front, a nice adjustable fence, an insert, and last but certainly not least, a lift.

I'm planning on making the base cabinet myself, but I just don't trust my skills to make an accurate, well-made router top.

I'd love to find an "all in one" package if it's available.

What say you?

Jaze, the items most people seem to want in a router table package are

- large stable flat surface

- accurate lift mechanism

- large fence with good dust collection and the ability to offset the outfeed fence

- accurate mitre gauge track

- removable/replaceable table inserts

Now lets add a few more wants

- cast iron warp free top

- ability to take a power feeder

Suddely it's starting to sound like a shaper, which is what I suggest you buy.

A small 3 HP shaper will have the following attributes in addition to the above

- ability to run reverse spindle direction for difficult grain situations/tearout

- ability to run router bits or shaper cutters

- ability to use an insert head running HSS knives for use in solid wood, superior surface finish, low cost knives.

- ability to use large diameter cutters for optimum surface finish

- quiet, powerful and vibration free. Far superior to a router motor

I went with a shaper instead of a router table and have never regretted it, the shaper is so versatile, so quiet, and with a stock feeder the surface finish is flawless.

Look around for a new or used 3HP shaper with router collets as well as a shaper spindle, you'll be surprised at what you get in comparison to a commercial router top/lift system.

I suggest you watch the video I've provided a link to, it's long, yet it shows a shaper being used with router bits, and shaper cutters. Watch the processes for template copying, and straight line moulding, it will give you an idea of some of the things shapers can do.

http://www.feldergroupusa.com/us-us/video/the-complete-workshop.html?videosgruppen_id=0

Regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
01-03-2011, 6:03 PM
First I agree with you Rod in general. I tend to view shapers and router tables as two separate beats with a small amount of overlap with large cutter BUT if you get a shaper WITH a high speed router spindle it can do the job of both. However, those shapers are rare to find used and EXPENSIVE to buy new. For most functions of a hobby shop a router table is adequate and would not see all the benefits of a shaper then again if one has the means for a shaper with a high speed router spindle that is a different story. For the OP and anyone else make sure you understand a high speed router spindle is different than just a router bit collet which allows the use of a router bit in a shaper but still limits one to the shapers high speed which is usually in the 10,000 rpm range and less than optimal for all but the largest router bits.

For the record I rarely disagree with Rod, if we do disagree it is usually regarding economics. Rod's approach in my eyes is economically VERY sound IF you go the route of a Euro 5 function machine but if approached from the stand alone perspective can get very very pricey.

Gregory Stahl
01-03-2011, 11:15 PM
I really like my Bench Dog cast-iron ProMax RT. I like it so much, I think I am going to buy another if it qualifies for the current Rockler buy one, get one 50% off coupon. Buy the table, get the lift for half-price.....hopefully?????

BTW, I have a shaper too. I rarely use it.

Greg Stahl

Jaze Derr
01-03-2011, 11:20 PM
dude....a cast iron ROUTER TABLE?!? omg...

Gregory Stahl
01-03-2011, 11:51 PM
dude....a cast iron ROUTER TABLE?!? omg...

Ohh, you want something cheap--should have qualified this in your original post! In this case, the dumpster outside my shop has a phenolic top in it free for the taking, only about 100 miles from you!

Jaze Derr
01-03-2011, 11:53 PM
lol :) I didn't specify a budget, because I'm not really sure of one, but still....a cast iron router table top just seems a little overboard, never mind what price it is!

hmmm...what size is that top in your dumpster..:D

Ron Breton
01-04-2011, 1:40 AM
I really like my Bench Dog cast-iron ProMax RT. I like it so much, I think I am going to buy another if it qualifies for the current Rockler buy one, get one 50% off coupon. Buy the table, get the lift for half-price.....hopefully?????

I recently purchased one myself, it's one heavy top. The only thing I don't like about it is the plate opening is dead center in the table instead of being more towards the rear. A lot of wasted area behind the fence.