PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet for belt/disc sander

Matt Meiser
04-10-2003, 10:12 PM
I am looking for ideas for a cabinet for my new Jet 6" belt/9" disc sander. I'd like to build something similar to the cabinet jet sells, but figured I could do so for much less than the $150 they charge. I was a bit suprised at the weight--about 120 lbs because of the beefy cast iron base and 3/4hp motor.

Anyone have pictures/plans of something they built?

Jim Young
04-11-2003, 6:13 AM
?ow bout one of those Lowe's shop cabinets and throw two pieces of 3/4" plywood on the top. Then cover with melamine sheet. That would result in a sturdy cabinet with some drawers. Cost would be about $70. Most of teh big boxes will sell scrap melamine from the sheets that were cut down.

Terry Quiram
04-11-2003, 7:56 AM
Matt

Here is a shot of the cabinet I built for my Jet. It is made of 3/4 ply and is on casters. I am going to make drawers in the future. The height of the sander is about 38". The ply was a sheet of tounge and groove underlayment. Cheap and pretty nice ply.

Terry

Matt Meiser
04-11-2003, 6:19 PM
Terry, your's looks perfect. I'll probably just put a door on it instad of drawers. Did you just use dado's and glue or screws too?

Terry Quiram
04-16-2003, 7:56 AM
Matt

Sorry about the delay in responding. I dadoed the sides, glued and screwed. I screwed them only because the plywood was a little warped, otherwise I would not have used screws. I thought about doors, but the cabinet is pretty deep so I will use full extension slides.

Terry