PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Mis-matched Cherry

Brett Bobo
01-02-2011, 5:44 PM
I'm concerned about the color of one of the bed rails for a mission style bed that I've started the finishing process on. I've attached some photos to show the coloration of most of the parts and in photo 110, it's the board on the left. I should have picked this up throughout the building but there appears to be some bluish/greenish undertones to it, with possibly some lighter wood--maybe sapwood. Photos 105 and 103 show that board in comparison to the boards and photo 106 shows the remainder parts--the headboard and footboard slats and the rails.

Since cherry will darken with age (I've had it sun bathing for the last two days), will that bed rail eventually turn to be consistent in color to the remainder of the bed? Should it be replaced with a better-matched board? Or, is there a finishing technique that may better blend that board with the rest of the bed? My finishing process is BLO, wash coat of garnet shellac, and topcoated with Behlen's Rock Hard varnish.

Thanks in advance!
Brett

Casey Gooding
01-02-2011, 6:12 PM
Doesn't look like sapwood. I would sit the piece out in the sun for a few hours. Check it every hour or so to see if it matches. It will darken to come closer to matching the other pieces.

Steve Schoene
01-02-2011, 9:18 PM
You can't be sure that it will eventually match the others. I had a couple of slightly darker boards of cherry that actually darkened more than the others, increasing the contrast between them.

Prashun Patel
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
If this is not a panel glue up, I wouldn't be concerned with it, personally. I think it's a beautiful piece of of wood, will mellow with age and with the garnet + behlen's. I wouldn't try to dye or blend this in any way. Just my non-pro 2c.

Kevin Barnett
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Since this is a rail, no one will notice. Also, since one side of the bed will get more sun than the other, it may make no difference in the long term.

I use slightly off color cherry all the time - even in glued-up panels. I like that it doesn't look like store bought, China made, toned cherry.

Scott Holmes
01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi Brett,

Kevin makes a good point... These rails will never be seen at the same time laying next to each other. If you want to adjust the color a bit give me a call, neighbor...