PDA

View Full Version : Rec Room Bar Completed

Jeff Sudmeier
01-07-2005, 7:13 PM
Well guys, this was my first major project in the current shop. It is a bar that I made from rough sawn lumber. The lumber was given to me from a bar that was remodeling and bought WAY too much material.

This is my baby. I really did not think that I would get much use out of her, but she has been a very functional bar. We have already gone through about 10 bottles of various liqours as well as many frozen drink mixes.

The Structure of the bar started out as a 2x4 stud wall. From there I added the sides. Finally I added the 3.5 inch thick bar top and bar area. The drawers are on full extension slides with log fronts. The bottoms of the fronts stick out about 1/8th of an inch to allow me to pull out the drawers.

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7221.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7222.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7223.sized.jpg

Curt Harms
01-07-2005, 7:41 PM
Beautiful stock. It clearly didn't come from some borg's board copier. Nice job.

Curt

Ted Shrader
01-07-2005, 7:58 PM
Jeff -

Very rustic! Nice job.

Tec

Jim Becker
01-07-2005, 8:02 PM
Yea, I do like those rustic touches that let you remember it's made of real wood! Excellent, Jeff!!

Christian Aufreiter
01-07-2005, 8:02 PM
Very impressive and solid construction - just like a bar should be ;)

Regards,

Christian

John Miliunas
01-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Another great project, Jeff! Yeah, it looks "rustic", but there's still that element of real finished work. Well done! Hmmmm....Might just have to pay a visit and check out the....the....Oh yeah...The sturdiness of that piece!:D :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
01-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Another great project, Jeff! Yeah, it looks "rustic", but there's still that element of real finished work. Well done! Hmmmm....Might just have to pay a visit and check out the....the....Oh yeah...The sturdiness of that piece!:D :) :cool:
John, you know you are invited by any time. As you can see from one of the pics, it could use some more "stocking" but I could whip up a drink or two from it!

Thanks to everyone on the compliments. The best part about this project is that the grand total was $150. Since all of the wood was free all I had to pay for was some plywood, drawer slides, screws and the finish.

I forgot to tell the best part of the story!

Well my dad and I are two guys that can "move anything". If it can be moved into a house, we can do it. The problem with where this bar is, is that it is down a flight of stairs. Now this bar is 6 feet long and 34 inches wide. The doorway and stairs it had to go down were 36 inches wide. The worst problem is that the 4 inch thick top is VERY heavy. It makes the bar want to tip frontwards when you are carrying it. So to lift it we had to put one arm under the bar top to keep it from tilting. Finally, the bar is so heavy that it was all we could do to lift it. We got it down there, but we had to take a break at the bottom before we moved it into place.

THanks again!

Jeff

John Miliunas
01-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Well my dad and I are two guys that can "move anything". If it can be moved into a house, we can do it. The problem with where this bar is, is that it is down a flight of stairs. Now this bar is 6 feet long and 34 inches wide. The doorway and stairs it had to go down were 36 inches wide. The worst problem is that the 4 inch thick top is VERY heavy. It makes the bar want to tip frontwards when you are carrying it. So to lift it we had to put one arm under the bar top to keep it from tilting. Finally, the bar is so heavy that it was all we could do to lift it. We got it down there, but we had to take a break at the bottom before we moved it into place.

THanks again!

Jeff
Two words come to mind about moving it: "Furniture dolly". I happen to have one.:D You know where I live....You're welcome to use it whenever!:) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
01-08-2005, 11:27 AM
You guys deserve a drink after moving that downstairs!! Great job, nice natural, rustic look and v solid looking. Enjoy it!

Christopher Stahl
01-08-2005, 2:31 PM
I think that looks great! I think the photos make it look even heavier. I guess the camera adds a couple pounds. ;)

That would be an excellent bar for a timber style home.

chris

Jeff Sudmeier
01-08-2005, 3:44 PM
I think that looks great! I think the photos make it look even heavier. I guess the camera adds a couple pounds. ;)

That would be an excellent bar for a timber style home.

chris
That is for sure. I started out building log furniture. I have built a queen bed, a couple of benches, a quilt rack, and a few shelves. Our rec room "theme" is lodge. We have wildlife pictures up with some of the log furniture. Our bathroom off of the rec room has a coupld of log towel holders, a log toilet paper holder, a log toilet paper "tree" and a log curtain rod. So all in all if fits the theme well.