PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on used MiniMax FS31

Mike Ashton
01-02-2011, 3:06 PM
I've been reading all the posts about Jointer/Planer combo machines and for quite a while been considering one for myself. I currently have an 8" Delta Rockwell jointer with a Byrd head and a DW735 with a Byrd, but my last few projects have all been affected by the (limited) 8" jointer- time to upgrade.

I like the idea of being able to add a mortiser down the road, especially since I won't be giving up more real estate to another dedicated machine. With that in mind, I've come to the Mini-max, Laguna, and Felder. I really like the price and capacity of the 16" from Laguna, but the 2 reviews I've found online were horrible. I don't live too far from their showroom, so I am considering a visit. The Jet and Grizzly look great, but don't have the option of the mortiser. If the mortiser wasn't an issue I think the Grizzly would win based on price and the rave reviews. I have a domino, so I'm not sure how much the mortiser would be used.

So getting to the point of the title- I found a used Minimax FS31 (orange paint vintage), with a mortising attachment, although an email confirmed straight knives (not a big deal, down the road a Byrd may be in order). He's asking around $2K, while it's close to a new Grizzly I am curious if there is a big difference in quality.

Thoughts?

Mike Hollingsworth
01-02-2011, 3:27 PM
My take:
With a 12" or wider planer you can move over the cutter at a slight angle. Same physics as an angled cutter.
Forget the mortiser, not fast enough. Get the Griz and buy a MultiRouter with the dough you save.

John Morrison60
01-02-2011, 3:46 PM
Mike
I went through the same decision process as you.
I ended up with a MiniMax FS30 Smart 12" J/P that I
found on Craig's list. Even with traveling 300 miles to
get it, it was a good deal for me.
It was $2500, but I think it was worth every dollar.
I have since installed a Byrd head (replacing the Tersa head)
and is a joy to use on any wood.
The basic machine quality is first rate, and the ease of use is outstanding.
I think you will be very satisfied.

Good Luck

John

Chris Fournier
01-02-2011, 6:07 PM
I think that the FS31 mortising attachment is guided on flat steel bars. If this is the case with the machine you're looking at I'd likely avoid it as the slot mortiser is super clunky. I tried to tune one of these mortisers up and it was not possible.

The FS30 has round steel guide rods on the slot mortiser and it works very well. I had an FS30 and just sold it to upgrade to a larger combo machine also from MiniMax. The FS30 was a great machine and were it not for needing 16" of jointer planer I'd still have it.

In my opinion the slot mortiser is a great feature. It's very robust, easy to set up and versatile while not demanding another footprint in your shop.

Mike Ashton
01-02-2011, 7:01 PM
Thanks for the input! Mike- I've looked at the multirouter, might be an option way down the line but not any time soon. This is a hobby for me, while space is not at a super-premium I am trying to be as efficient as possible with the room I have. Tough for me to give up floor space for a machine I don't use regularly.

Chris- I would love to get a 16" machine and the Laguna has a price I can work with, just wish they didn't have all the nightmare stories online about this particular model. Another plus to their machines is I can add a slot mortiser down the road- on the video they look to work pretty quick. Just to clarify, the models I am looking at from them are the lower end "Platinum" models made in Asia.

I called the guy listing the machine and left a message, asking to come take a look. Guess it's time to list the Delta and Dewalt...

Bob Falk
01-02-2011, 7:17 PM
I've been reading all the posts about Jointer/Planer combo machines and for quite a while been considering one for myself. I currently have an 8" Delta Rockwell jointer with a Byrd head and a DW735 with a Byrd, but my last few projects have all been affected by the (limited) 8" jointer- time to upgrade.

I like the idea of being able to add a mortiser down the road, especially since I won't be giving up more real estate to another dedicated machine. With that in mind, I've come to the Mini-max, Laguna, and Felder. I really like the price and capacity of the 16" from Laguna, but the 2 reviews I've found online were horrible. I don't live too far from their showroom, so I am considering a visit. The Jet and Grizzly look great, but don't have the option of the mortiser. If the mortiser wasn't an issue I think the Grizzly would win based on price and the rave reviews. I have a domino, so I'm not sure how much the mortiser would be used.

So getting to the point of the title- I found a used Minimax FS31 (orange paint vintage), with a mortising attachment, although an email confirmed straight knives (not a big deal, down the road a Byrd may be in order). He's asking around $2K, while it's close to a new Grizzly I am curious if there is a big difference in quality.

Thoughts?

For what its worth, I just bought a used 1980's vintage Minimax T3 Shaper. Quality built machine and well thought out. I also have a Robland 12" combo jointer/planer. Love it. For my money, I would go for the European manufactured machine (even if used) before a Grizzly.