PDA

View Full Version : Need 6X6 in matte ceramic tiles

Martin Boekers
01-02-2011, 2:51 PM
I know this is hard to believe but I am having trouble finding 6x6 inch matte off
white or biscuit colored tiles. I was getting them at Lowes ($.34ea) for some
reason they don't carry them and can't order them. They carry another vendor (American
Olean) I believe but at about $.90ea on special order. I tried the other big box stores
but they only carry the glossy ones. I have been using those and matte spraying them
in the meantime.

I have checked with many tile stores locally (St. Louis area) they just haven't gotten back
to me. I've used over a 1000 of these in the last year.

I use these with Magic Touch Transfer, this keeps price point to an area the dye sub
can't touch.

Until I find a new supplier, it looks like I'll be spray coating.:(

Thanks!

mike berry
01-02-2011, 6:58 PM
Martin,

Give me the number and just for chuckles I will check our Lowe's here in New Hampshire.....heck, you never know!

Amy Shelton
01-03-2011, 9:15 AM
Martin, we have a tile retail shop! I will send you a PM.

Martin Boekers
01-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Martin,

Give me the number and just for chuckles I will check our Lowe's here in New Hampshire.....heck, you never know!

Mike here is the number;

Counterparts is the brand name
L301-6
Biscuit
6x6 Flat 66
Matte 50 pieces to a case.

Thanks!

Amy Shelton
01-03-2011, 10:37 PM
I thought I posted, then it went away to cyberland. I'll try again.

We've seen price increases in the tile industry lately (as with about every other industry)... When the hurricanes/flooding damaged tile plants in Mexico, two different suppliers of ours completely discontinued their lines. They were the inexpensive ones. I guess there's less money in it, so those are the first to go.

I searched at my local Lowes online and the Counterparts tile is unavailable here.

The Magic Touch vs dye sub .... I thought I read on here a while ago that CLTT could be scratched off a tile easily? (with a fingernail?)
Would a laser transfer be durable, like in a shower?

I like your avatar! Is that you on Mt Rushmore?

Dan Hintz
01-04-2011, 6:41 AM
Martin,

At 1k/yr, it may make sense to order an entire pallet and try to save a few pennies...

Martin Boekers
01-04-2011, 12:01 PM
The Magic Touch vs dye sub .... I thought I read on here a while ago that CLTT could be scratched off a tile easily? (with a fingernail?)
Would a laser transfer be durable, like in a shower?

I like your avatar! Is that you on Mt Rushmore?

That be me! I made up some shirts with it to wear at events on base, very few knew it was me.
I thought is was appropriate for an engraver:D

As for Magic Touch, yes you can scrape it off if you try, you have to remember that
it is a plastic poylmer (toner) melted to the surface. I use this for display purpose
items. I do tell that to clients, not to be used as a "trivet" though. Solvents such as
Acetone will remove the toner So if you mess on up you can save the piece. I wouldn't
recommend using it outdoors, I do spray some with a clear coat protectant to give it
extra durability. Magic Touch recommends that after you transfer to the item and
remove the backing sheet to reheat it for a few minutes this does give extra durability as
if the bond was weakend on removing the backing sheet it softens the toner a bit to
create better adhesion. I have done the transfers to coffee mugs, and told clients to
hand wash with warm water. So far no complaints. Typically the mugs I do are dye sub
(for durability) but some cases clients want a non-standard mug I use this.

I have been using Magic Touch on tiles for over 2 years and haven't had a complaint
yet. I do inform the clients, though it is a display purpose item.

It works great for some applications. It is what it is, so work within it's limitations.

Marty