PDA

View Full Version : New Years Catch

Dick Mahany
01-02-2011, 2:27 PM
Spent New Years afternoon making this threaded lidded box for LOML. Amboyna burl, 4"H x 3 3/8"W. Even finessed the lid so that the grain would align when the top was screwed on.

I don't know what possessed me to take a last smoothing cut, on the finished piece, with my new Raffan signature scraper, but Raffan I'm not ! Got a nasty catch that ruined the male thread. It happened so fast.

Now I get to figure out how to cut the damaged thread away and make a threaded insert. The tricky part will be figuring out how to re-chuck it as the original tenon is gone. Since the threads still work, maybe I'll just put it away on the shelf and hope no one opens it :o At least I got my first mistake for the year out of the way early.;)

Roger Chandler
01-02-2011, 2:35 PM
Dick,

That is a NICE box! That last cut is something I learned about earlier this week, and we now have a thread for just such occasions called "pics of a stupid mistake" which along with all the other turners on this forum who have posted theirs, we invite you to put yours in there as well!

We can all learn from one-anothers' boo boo's! :eek::)

Tim Thiebaut
01-02-2011, 2:51 PM
That is some beautful wood there! How did you chase the threads, do you use sorbys thread chaser set? I have that set but havnt worked up to useing it just yet.

Jim Burr
01-02-2011, 3:07 PM
Bah!!! That's a lousy way to start the new year Dick...and with Amboyna to boot!!

Jack Gaskins
01-02-2011, 3:08 PM
How about turning the threads off and attaching an insert that fits inside the lid and also sticks down into the box about 1/8"?

Michael James
01-02-2011, 3:31 PM
That's a real bummer!

Thom Sturgill
01-02-2011, 3:46 PM
Get some of the adhesive backed foam sheets (Michaels, walmart,etc) and wrap the turning. then chuck it up or use a jamb chuck.
Shame - do you have the piece> you might be able to glue it back in and fix the threads with a fine file.

Dick Mahany
01-02-2011, 4:03 PM
That is some beautful wood there! How did you chase the threads, do you use sorbys thread chaser set? I have that set but havnt worked up to useing it just yet.

Tim,

I made a poor-man's version of the Baxter/Klein type of threading jig. Simply used a threaded shaft and nuts welded to a piece of scrap. I have some pics of the jig here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopshots/HomeMadeThreadingJigForJet1642Lathe#

Regards

Dick Mahany
01-02-2011, 4:08 PM
How about turning the threads off and attaching an insert that fits inside the lid and also sticks down into the box about 1/8"?

Jack,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will turn a ring with a pilot/tenon and replacement thread and then bore the inside of the box to fit. I'm thinking of Hard Maple as that Amboyna is pricey.

Regards,

Matt Newton
01-02-2011, 5:00 PM
Remember "The enemy of good is better". That saying has come back to bite me more times than I care to admit.

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2011, 5:05 PM
Very nice box! If it were mine - I would probably just clean up the broken thread area and call it good to go. If you decide to turn away the thread and install an insert - be sure to let us see the finished repair! Best of luck!

John Keeton
01-02-2011, 5:18 PM
Dick, regardless of the method of repair, you need to be proud of this one! Very well done, and the wood is beautiful. Great job on getting the grain aligned.

Duff Bement
01-02-2011, 5:19 PM
That Suxs !! I have a box on my kitchen counter with the same problem. Let me know how it turns out.

Roger Chandler
01-02-2011, 5:53 PM
Dick,

That is one IMPRESSIVE threading jig..........home made, none the less. All I can say is WOW! That is a real trick!

Tim Thiebaut
01-02-2011, 6:12 PM
That threading jig is awesome, thanks for shareing your pictures of it. This is one of those things on my wood working bucket list that I would like to make someday, that and a rose engine.

Richard Madden
01-02-2011, 6:15 PM
Dick,
It's good to see you on here, seems like it's been a while. Sorry about the catch, I hope you can fix it. Many thanks again for your help in making the threading jig. I really like that thing!

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2011, 6:52 PM
That is a great looking box. Yep that dreaded last cut will get you everytime. I hate it when I do that.

Glenn Bird
01-02-2011, 7:33 PM
Thanks for sharing the pictures of your homemade threading jig. Been thinking of making one as well and your pics will help.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-02-2011, 7:37 PM
Dick,
Here is my thought. Cut away only the small broken area so the thread walls are straight and do no more, The treads will still work and your original piece will be intact. I'm impressed with the imagination and mechanical skill you display with the threading jig. The stuff we get to see on this site is incredible.
faust