PDA

View Full Version : Sister's Changing Table Completed

Jeff Sudmeier
01-07-2005, 7:07 PM
Everyone,

I submit to you my sister's changing table. It is modeled after a pottery barn kid's peice for $300. I was able to complete this piece for just over $50. It is definately not FINE furniture, but it is very functional.

The changing table is made from red maple. The reason that we chose red maple is because it was a cheaper lumber that took stain very well. Also, my sister as well as myself loved the knots in the boards that we picked out. I was pleasantly suprised as I put on the stain to see all kinds of rays and shadows in the wood. The table is assembled using glue and pocket screws. The finish is three coats of colonial maple stain, followed by hand wiped poly.

The shelves will hold baskets that my sister purchased for all of the diapers and misc supplies that a baby requires. I also purchased another small basket to sit at the end of the changing pad, with compartments to hold diapers and misc bottles of lotions etc.

The pad is attached to the table with two straps. There is also a strap for baby. If my sister feels like the pad needs more securing, we will add carpet tape.

The first picture is of the front of the changing table:
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7218_001.sized.jpg

The second picture is a closeup of one of the knots:
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7220.sized.jpg

The last picture is with the pad on top:
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/100_7224.sized.jpg

Rich Person
01-07-2005, 7:15 PM
Not everyone has a matching changing table and bar.

Seriously, it looks very nice. I also get much inspiration from Pottery barn. Even though babies likely don't appreciate the swirling grain, board members do.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-07-2005, 7:16 PM
See my other thread on the bar :) The bar actually doesn't match, but in the low light it appears like it does. The changing table is now loaded up in the truck and ready to be deliverd.

Jeff

Erin Stringer
01-07-2005, 7:18 PM
This is amazing. I have been working on the EXACT same copy. I laughed out loud when I saw that you were copying the PBK table. It looks great. Did you look into the "frame" for the changing pad at all? My wife is insisting that I include that feature so the pad doesn't slide, it will also create a "bin" for the assorted accesories that a changing table needs.

I'm using poplar that I intend to paint white. We got the baskets as well, it must be a good way to go. How many pocket screws did you use to hold the shelf to the aprons? Did you notch the legs for the shelves or the shelves themselves? I have my boards planed and ready to cut but haven't sorted out all of the details yet so any tips are welcome.

Great Job on the table, I'm sure the family will love it.

Jim Becker
01-07-2005, 8:12 PM
Another great job, Jeff! Very nice and the maple looks good. Perfect for the job.

Did you look into the "frame" for the changing pad at all? My wife is insisting that I include that feature so the pad doesn't slide, it will also create a "bin" for the assorted accessories that a changing table needs.
That was going to be my design question, too...all of the designs I've been reviewing have some form of "tray/frame" that provides a lip to keep things (including said baby) from rolling off. For the one I've promised to my friend, I've been toying with some designs that make that top changing "tray/frame" removable so that the whole thing can transform from a changing station to a bureau for use by the child as he/she gets older. I haven't been to a PB Kids store yet to look, however...

JayStPeter
01-07-2005, 9:15 PM
On the tray. I am hopefully getting toward the end of my diaper changing. Our changing table doesn't have a tray. I can see how it would be positive, but really don't wish I had one.
I like the fact that mine doesn't have the tray. I have been, and will be able to use it as a dresser until I can make a replacement. If it had the tray built in, it would be too obviously a changing table.

Jay

Jeff Sudmeier
01-07-2005, 11:43 PM
This is amazing. I have been working on the EXACT same copy. I laughed out loud when I saw that you were copying the PBK table. It looks great. Did you look into the "frame" for the changing pad at all? My wife is insisting that I include that feature so the pad doesn't slide, it will also create a "bin" for the assorted accesories that a changing table needs.

I'm using poplar that I intend to paint white. We got the baskets as well, it must be a good way to go. How many pocket screws did you use to hold the shelf to the aprons? Did you notch the legs for the shelves or the shelves themselves? I have my boards planed and ready to cut but haven't sorted out all of the details yet so any tips are welcome.

Great Job on the table, I'm sure the family will love it.

I did look into the "frame" for the changing pad. The reason that I decided not to go with it is that the changing pad that my sister wanted was too big to include the frame as well. I asked her if she would like to strap the pad to the table and use carpet tape as well to keep it from sliding, or if she would like me to build a frame and get a smaller pad. She is going to use a divided basket that I found for diapers and other "supplies", this will sit at the end of the pad. The pad is attached VERY securely using the straps, plus the carpet tape. I am confident that it is more secure than using the frame.

I notched the shelves, using my jigsaw, to fit the legs. Then I glued and screwed the shelves to the legs. I used three #6 x 1 5/8 inch screws in each leg. One comes in from the side, one comes in from the front or back and the other comes in on a diagonal. I also pocket screwed the "trim" to the shelves.

Email me if you have further questions, so that I do not miss them.

Good luck in making yours!

The unexpected bonus of not using a frame around the pad is that she will be able to use it as a shelf unit for years to come, after she is done with the pad.

Everyone else, thank you very much for all of the comments.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Another great job, Jeff! Very nice and the maple looks good. Perfect for the job.

That was going to be my design question, too...all of the designs I've been reviewing have some form of "tray/frame" that provides a lip to keep things (including said baby) from rolling off. For the one I've promised to my friend, I've been toying with some designs that make that top changing "tray/frame" removable so that the whole thing can transform from a changing station to a bureau for use by the child as he/she gets older. I haven't been to a PB Kids store yet to look, however...
Jim, as Kelly and I are getting ready to have kids ourself, everything that we have read says that you can NEVER leave the child alone on the changing table. For this reason, I do not feel there is a risk to the child rolling off. Also, the pad is now VERY secure to the table. I have used carpet tape and the included straps to secure the pad. I picked up on the pad and was able to lift the whole table.

My sister likes that there is no frame so that she will be able to use it for more than a changing table.

Thanks for the compliments!

Wes Bischel
01-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Jeff,

I think your sister will love the table - and the pad. We have/had been using the same pad for a few years now (haven't needed it for a few weeks now :D :D :D ). With the straps screwed to the back of the table, and the safety belt, baby doesn't go anywhere. Our guy liked to roll over in the early days, but never came close to an accident.
(get at least two terrycloth covers so they can be cycled - trust me they will cycle more than you/she think :rolleyes: )

Wes

John Miliunas
01-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Well I'll be dipped. The guy went and actually took pictures of this stuff he's built!:D Nice job, Jeff and the pics really DO look a whole lot better than on your c-phone! I'm positive your sister will love it. Keep up the great work!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
01-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Well guys I dropped it off last night and she did love it, thanks for the compliments! One to cross of the list!

Jerry Olexa
01-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Nice job and safety built in!! Better celebrate w a drink from your bar...:)